News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Something is WRONG here

Started by Kenny C, June 28, 2010, 07:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I was talking with my grandmother today and there was a Huge beep and the base of my 302 shocked me what is wrong?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Kenny:

Any bad weather or storms around?
Jorge

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Greg G.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on June 28, 2010, 07:31:01 PM
I was talking with my grandmother today and there was a Huge beep and the base of my 302 shocked me what is wrong?

Don't hold the base up to your ear.  You won't get shocked and it's easier to hear Grandma. ;D
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
What do you use for a network/subset ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

it is a 302 the network and ringer are inside and i have no other phones hooked up except the kitchen cordless
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

I think I mentioned this story before, but in 2007, when visiting my Mom, a lightning strike killed her computer modem. I was present when it happened: we saw the light and immediately we heard the strike. Usually the voltage between L1 and L2 is -48 Vdc. The ringer capacitor is rated to 500 volts. While talking on the phone, the voltage drops to -5 to -9 volts and around 20-30 milliamps flow in and out of the set. In case of a distant lightning strike, it is possible to exceed the voltage on the line to the point where your body can conduct to ground part of the voltage surge seen on the line.

Ideally, the metal case of the phone should be electrically isolated from L1/L2 with a barrier of at least 5,000 volts (that is what modem manufacturers use as a design guide). I don't know what they use for modern phones.

Kenny, if you have a DVM, disconnect the phone from the line and see if there is a resistance reading between L1/L2 and the metal case. There should not be any.

PS: That lightning strike at my Mom's home, killed a bunch of cows resting under a tree from the torrential rains. However, her trusty WE500 survived.

PPS: If Donna comments on this, what are the regulations these days regarding phone lines as they enter your home? Are they referenced to the home ground, or do they float?
Jorge

Kenny C

i think my dad has a meeter I will check it when he is home
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Russ Kirk

Kenny,

Is the phone service still working? do you get dial tone?
If no dial tone call 611 repairs.

If any foreign voltage was temporarily on the line the protector should have prevented voltage from leaking to the end user.   When I was in cable maintenance many many years ago they were just coming out with resetting fuses.  I assume they are all now the gas tube resetting type.  So if there was any voltage was temporarily on the line it should have reset.

I have seen people get shocked when there was a poor ground at the protector.   I have seen lower voltage AC power and a breakdown test set blow protectors and shock people. Nearby lighting could be a cause,  but in my part of California lighting is not common.   All these happened with no serious injury. 

I assume you did not any have any injury.

The beep you heard may be caused by the high voltage. Also, you would have to be grounded in some way to get a shock and complete a circuit. 

My suggestion is, if you can, to look at the protector and see if everyting looks OK. 
If in doubt,  call 611 repair and have a technician out to expamine the protector and examine the grounding source. 

I have seen on numerous occasions the protector ground selected is improper.  Make sure it is grounded to a 3' ground rod,  cold water metal pipe or the main building ground.

If all else fails,  it was aliens!

Russ....

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Kenny C

Russ
I am fine it was just a little shock not enough to make me drop the phonebut enough to feel.

We do get dial tone still.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Russkirk on June 29, 2010, 06:03:23 PM

If no dial tone call 611 repairs.

??? (Sorry Russ, I could not resist the temptation)
Jorge