News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Repainting base plates/leather foot referb

Started by Pourme, March 26, 2016, 10:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I have searched and not have been able to find anything on this. In the course of reading on this forum I have seen many restorations that included freshly painted base plates. I am thinking about my '52 WE 500. Some parts are riveted onto the base plate and the date and model stamp look as original. Are rivets drilled out and replaced after painting? Where does one get the rivets? They don't look like the rivets I buy ay Lowe's. If this has been covered before I apologize, I couldn't find it.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Phonesrfun

For a '52, I think I would leave the base as is.  There is no way to replicate the printing, and I don't think you will find an exact match on original rivets.  Yours is not really in that bad of shape.

I thought we had a discussion about the rivets on this forum a few years ago.  For some reason I am thinking that member "Dencins" was researching the topic because he was re-covering foot pads on 302's which are screwed on, and was trying to expand that activity to 500's.

-Bill G

RotarDad

You are right, Bill, that Dencins has located the correct rivet (a brake lining rivet) for the 500 foot pad.  A special tool is also needed to properly roll the rivet like the original.  These are used on high value phones in need of restoration such as a 1950 500 that was refurbed with round rubber feet, or a 500 U (mushroom) that had rust, etc.  I don't remember seeing any replacements for the other base plate rivets.

To echo Bill, I would strongly suggest leaving that '52 as is.   It is not in bad shape for its age, and the wear and tear are just part of its history.  Repainting that would reduce its value in my opinion, but the decision is certainly yours.
Paul

Pourme

I can go along with the suggestion of not painting the base, however the foot pads are split open and need replacing. I'm a do it yourself kinda guy and would love to be able to do this task.

I have just begun to look but, Grainger has just about every kind of rivet imaginable

http://tinyurl.com/h6usenn

If I can determine the correct rivet, I could make the minimum order and would be happy to sell each member to suit his or her needs at cost. Just my thought...your thoughts?
Benny

Pourme

Ok...I drilled out one of the rivets... the head is .31 inches or 7.9 mm...the shaft is .15 in or 3.9 mm... it is .21 in or 5.3mm "tall" and of course is brass. There is felt cushioning under the leather that can be reused. One web site that I read said he went to a second hand store and bought a brown leather jacket to use for material to make his the pads!   Still researching...I'd be interested to know what the members here think.

Benny
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: Autonut on March 27, 2016, 09:04:04 AM
Quote from: Pourme on March 27, 2016, 07:57:12 AM

I have just begun to look but, Grainger has just about every kind of rivet imaginable

http://tinyurl.com/h6usenn

If I can determine the correct rivet, I could make the minimum order and would be happy to sell each member to suit his or her needs at cost. Just my thought...your thoughts?

Or maybe there is a member here who already has some that may sell you what you need. Saving you from buying minimum.

That would work as well....
Benny

TelePlay

Those are semi-tubular rivets, IIRC, making the rolling over the of the gripping edge easier. When you drilled out the old rivet, you cut off the tube part of the rivet. You can see the end of the tube in the rivet you extracted.

And, yes, there is an expensive tool ($20-30?) to do that, roll them over, and it's not a one size fits all tool- works like a grommet fastener but in a press or with a hammer.

Anyone else know better?

=========================

Recovering feet is discussed in length here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=822.0

DavePEI

They are brake rivets. Contact Dennis Hallworth (Dencins) - he can put you onto an inexpensive source for the riveter, and likely can supply you with some rivets - he did so for me a few years ago.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dencins

The rivet I use on leather 500 style foot pads is semi-tubular brake rivet.  Specifically

4-5S nickel finish steel rivet
150 deg countersunk head
W/.275 deep hole

The tool used to roll an even crimp is a aircraft brake crimping tool.  Several types are available from aircraft supply stores.

The leather I use to recover the foot pad is 2 - 2.5 oz dark brown suede calf skin from Hide & Leather House in Napa, Ca.

The felt pad used under the leather is 1/8" F-26 felt I get from McMaster-Carr. 

The felt pad on this particular foot pad has a hole that lets the rivet head recess that I make using a 3/8" punch.

Dennis Hallworth

Pourme

I sent my phone to dencins for him to work his magic on the foot pads.... Dancing With The Stars ain't got nothing on dencins when it comes to foot work!... Thanks dencins for the excellent and timely work on the foot pads....This do it your selfer yields to your knowlege and experience....Thanks!
Benny
Benny

Phonesrfun

-Bill G