News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System metal piece?

Started by MagicMo, August 13, 2013, 08:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Cleaning out the garage. Anyone know what this is? I have a bunch of them. It was from Bell System.
Thanks
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

AE_Collector

Kind of sort of looks like it could be a shelf for rack mounting depending on the spacing of the holes in the back of it. Los similar but not exactly the same as the type we used here.

Terry

WesternElectricBen

I'm really confused what Terry is trying to say... Translation please?

Ben 

troydog

Looks like a phonebook holder tray for a wal mount payphone.

Weco355aman

It is a shelf used by the telco for Paging ampfiler or Modems, These were common in Oregon. every one that i seen was used to hold a paging ampflier.
Phil

Russ Kirk

It is a shelf.  It is installed in relay racks in the Central Offices.  Here is a photo of similar ones in use.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

ESalter

Mo, you should measure to see if they are 19 or 23" across(mounting holes, that is).  19" is the standard width for relay racks, but 23" is pretty much the standard for Telephone racks.

AE_Collector

Looks like it may have mounting holes for both 19 and 23 inch racks as long as it is wide enough for 23 inch racks. Could be tough to fit into a 19 inch rack if it is wider but the option is there.

They may have originally been for amplifiers but eventually were used for almost anything. CRT,s, printers, modems etc.

Terry