News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Postage/Shipping Costs!

Started by DavePEI, October 15, 2013, 07:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Looks like what they are doing is trying to take up all the slack in their pricing methods.  it's what organizations that are hard up for money do.  On the other hand, which of the parcel movers are going to step in and beat the post offices' time with you?  I'm glad I don't have to ship regularly.  At those prices I couldn't. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

Looks like we get pretty much for the money shipping with USPS.

I am still waiting for my parcel but at least the handle it many times, and sends it a loooooooong way:

This might be the fastest way to Europe, I have just not understood that yet.  ::)

dsk

19and41

Looks like they were trying to make connection with the overseas carrier.  The variables are: shortest, fastest and emptiest.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

the weather back east has been playing a major role in this.... I guess they have to route the mail though whatever route is open at the time.... after all... that polar vortex did throw you guys a curve!
John

Jack Ryan

This parcel was to take up to 60 days.

Notice on 18/11/2015 (DD/MM/YYYY), the postie discovered he forgot his lunch and had to go back.

Date             Time       Location                      Description
16/11/2015    18:36   VICTORIAVILLE   QC       Item accepted at the Post Office
17/11/2015    17:58   VICTORIAVILLE   QC       Item processed
18/11/2015    05:24   MONTREAL          QC       Item processed
18/11/2015    05:27   MONTREAL          QC       Item processed
20/11/2015    07:16   VICTORIAVILLE   QC       Item re-routed due to processing error; Possible delay
20/11/2015    07:18   VICTORIAVILLE   QC       Item processed
21/11/2015    00:39   MONTREAL          QC       Item processed
21/11/2015    00:48   MONTREAL          QC       Item processed
26/11/2015    10:49   RICHMOND          BC       Item processed
10/12/2015    10:42   RICHMOND          BC       International item being forwarded to destination country
03/02/2016    07:47   AUSYDE             Australia   International shipment has arrived in a foreign country
03/02/2016    09:01   AUSYDE             Australia   Item has arrived in foreign country
08/02/2016    05:29   AUMXBT             Australia   Item has arrived at the delivery office in the destination country
08/02/2016    06:54   5039                  Australia   Item on hold
09/02/2016    10:32   5039                  Australia   Item successfully delivered

AE_Collector

60 days would have looked fast compared to how long it really took. Either lunch or the Tim Horton's at Montreal was closed so he had to go back to Victoriaville to get a warm coffee before dropping your package for sorting. But what went on at Richmond BC....10 miles from me. 2 weeks waiting there to be shipped....maybe they need enough packages for Aus to fill a container? 8 weeks after that it arrived.

What did the postage cost? And was there a storage fee tacked on?

dsk's package went to Rio for Mardi Gras apparently. Hope it enjoys the tour, Rio is nice this time of year...I was there right about now last year.

Terry

Jack Ryan

It's so long ago the details are no longer readily available - I'd have to dig. There was no storage charge - that would have been the last straw.

I regularly have stuff come from the USA via Japan. I live in South Australia (SA) - do you want to guess where many packages end up? South Africa!

I suppose they'll get it right before transporters (as in Star Trek) become available.

Jack

dsk

Now I'm really worried:
Your item is being processed by customs in BRAZIL at 7:52 am on February 17, 2016.

I'm in Norway!

dsk

HarrySmith

I know this is an old post but it is the only one fitting what I want to say.
Some people just don't seem to care how much shipping costs. I just sold a Swarovski crystal figurine on eBay. The lady that bought it is in the UK. The figurine sold for $50 and she paid $62 shipping! I have not packed it up yet so I am not sure what the actual cost will be. If it is less I will give it back to her, I have done so before. This is not the first time something I sold on eBay cost less then the shipping. I guess if it is something you really want you will pay whatever it takes to get it :)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 02, 2023, 02:16:21 PMI know this is an old post but it is the only one fitting what I want to say.
Some people just don't seem to care how much shipping costs. I just sold a Swarovski crystal figurine on eBay. The lady that bought it is in the UK. The figurine sold for $50 and she paid $62 shipping! I have not packed it up yet so I am not sure what the actual cost will be. If it is less I will give it back to her, I have done so before. This is not the first time something I sold on eBay cost less then the shipping. I guess if it is something you really want you will pay whatever it takes to get it :)

Harry, some people have much more money then we do and when they want something they'll just pay the price, you're lucky to get a customer of such. I try to use the cheapest shipping possible for my customers and still have it shipped safely and quickly but, there always seems to be one or two who are going to complain even if it only cost them a dollar. I myself have to judge a item by its shipping cost if I wish to purchase it and if the shipping is more then a certain cost I usually have to pass on it. I remember when shipping was reasonable and I didn't have to worry about it, sadly those days are gone.

TelePlay

I recently sold something to a buyer in Canada. eBay over charged postage. I returned $7 of the $11 paid. eBay has a problem calculating postage for multiple items and to which a quantity discount is applied. And, eBay does not even have a First Class envelope under 1.5 ounce option so minimal international postage charges a minimum of about $5 for a 1 to 2 ounce item, my issue, does not apply to your larger item.

I stopped selling international some time ago due to the hassle  the seller has to deal with.

eBay's Global Shipping eliminates the hassle but the buyer pays for 2 postage stamps, one to Kentucky and the expensive one from Kentucky to their front door. But they, not you, complete the customs forms.

Better that eBay overcharges a foreign shipment when not using eBay's Global Program, it's easier to refund excess postage than to ask the buyer for more money.

Buyer's getting a refund leave better feedback.

Buyer also pays import duties.

Finally, excessive postage kept has to be declared as normal income on tax returns.

Very few, if any, buy something with first factoring on the shipping costs. It's their choice to decide if they can afford it or can scratch up enough to afford it.

dsk

I have pressed on the buy button on eBay, did not buy many times because of all the unpredictable buying costs.  It should have been a total calculator so I could see the real cost of an item (except national import taxes/custom... so the total is what you pay included shipping and tax from the sellers area) OK sometimes the local customs add something on the top of it that should not be the sellers problem because for both seller and buyer tax systems in another country will be to difficult to predict.

HarrySmith

I always ship USPS Priority Mail, even international. I have never used eBay Global Shipping. My buyer ended up paying $140 with the VAT & fees. Quite a lot for a $50 piece!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

I haven't decided whether to enroll in eBay's latest "international shipping plan." It appears to be a replacement -- or an additional option? -- for "eBay global shipping program" and "eBay international shipping."

In any case, here are the "International Shipping Plan" rates  from the U.S. (not including import duties or sales tax) of "what your buyer will pay" for a few countries. (Others can be downloaded.) Weights shown are in pounds ("lbs.") and rates are in U.S. dollars.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

And on the top of that I use to calculate 1/3 of the total for customs etc 
Example The object cost $100, Shipping with Ebay $100 and tax $66  So the object to $100 ends at $266!  >:(