News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2AY over B Finger Stop / Dial Identification

Started by zaphod01, November 30, 2013, 10:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaphod01

I have a candlestick fresh from eBay with an oddball finger stop. Perch marked 51AL. Transmitter marked 323. Dial plate is a 164A dated 1955.

Finger stop marked 2AB with a Y stamped over the B. Pics attached.

Anybody know what this dial is? Why 2AY over B?
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

TelePlay

Looks more like just an partially stamped "X" out of the "B" leaving it as a "2A" designation, not a "Y" at all. Also, number plate is notched.

zaphod01

So how does a 2A differ from a 2AB? This is my first 2-series dial. Returns fine but makes a helluva racket.

poplar1

1st letter indicates a particular contact pileup
2nd letter indicates which style number plate

Originally 2AB: 1st letter A would be the standard dial for a desk stand, "hotel" wall set, or paystation.
                       2nd letter B would be for a 132B number plate (letters and numerals)

It was probably reissued with an all numbers plate or an E-style plate (J,M,R,W); thus, 2AB was no longer accurate. 2AX doesn't indicate any one number plate. Sometimes, a new letter was added after the X so that a 2AA for example could have been changed to 2AXB.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: zaphod01 on November 30, 2013, 11:10:05 AM
So how does a 2A differ from a 2AB? This is my first 2-series dial. Returns fine but makes a helluva racket.
The phone was at one time refurbished from a 2AB dial to another type. 2AB was a dial with a metropolitan plate (numbers and letters). Perhaps it became a 2AA with rural plate. Later it was clearly fitted with 164A, which was meant for a #4, 5, or 6 dial with an inside mounted finger stop, whence the notch, but also fit the #2.

zaphod01

Sounds like I need to begin my search for a no notch dial plate.

Thanks, guys!

unbeldi

Quote from: zaphod01 on November 30, 2013, 11:32:19 AM
Sounds like I need to begin my search for a no notch dial plate.
Well, that depends on your goals. There is nothing per se wrong with your dial face plate. But if you do want the original (marked) configuration, you should probably also look for an entire set of 'new' old cords, as those in your set appear to be about the same vintage as the dial plate.

zaphod01

Cords will be replaced. I usually wait until I have three or four projects in need of cords and then order from OPW. Shipping is brutal!

I have a 150A dial plate dated 1949 that might look nice.

Phonesrfun

The notchless number plates are not very plentiful, and are thus pretty expensive.  As was said, it depends on your goals.  A collector will know that it is not the original number plate, but the average visitor to you home won't.

If your goal is to be absolutely correct and have the phone retain its full potential value for a future sale, then you need to go out and get a notchless number plate.  If your goal is to have an old phone that works, then put it on your list to get "some day".  Just know that the lack of a notch will reduce the phones saleable value.

As an aside, oldphoneworks sells dial number plate overlays that are made of Mylar.  These are made to go over a dial number plate that has cracked or seriously chipped porcelain, or faded/worn numbers/letters.  They are availabel in both the rural and metropolitan formats.  They have an adhesive back like an adhesive label.  They have them in notchless too.  It just sticks on the face of the existing face plate.  A notched plate can be made to look like it is an original notchless with one of these overlays  I am not suggesting you buy an overlay and then turn around and represent it as original on e-Bay, but it will look notchless.  The overlay is rugged, but still removable, so it won't hurt the number plate.

-Bill G

Sargeguy

To get really technical, a 132-B would be incorrect since the fingerstop indicates that the 132-B was replaced.  You would need a 132-A or a 132-E plate, most likely.  If they changed to a 149-B or 150-B it would not make sense to strike out the "B".
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409