News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is it? The guessing game. Bell System......

Started by John S, March 08, 2014, 08:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Anyone have any ideas what this is?  Its in a green canvas bag marked Bell System.  I have no idea.  Here are some pictures.  Let the game begin...

John S.

TelePlay

Have no idea but that rope with a knot on one end and a handle on the other remind me of what we used to start lawn mower and other gas engines BEFORE the retractable pull starter mechanism was invented (circa late 50's).

John S

Yes, it does.  I can't find any info on it.  Everything was in the bag-fits nice just don't know what it was use for. 

John

G-Man

Please provide ALL of the pertinent information such as the rest of what has been stenciled on the bag. Is this part of an eBay auction or if not what is the context of your find. It is possible that someone was using it to store unrelated items. This will give us a better chance at determining what it was used for.

John S

Here are some more pictures.....hard to read.......

RETURN TO:
ILLINOIS BELL TEL. CO.
2323 SOUTH ROCKWELL ST.
CHICAGO 8 ILLINOIS
STATE

Its a cool looking bag....

John

John S

more pics

John S

My dad brought it to me.  He had it stored away for years.  He does not remember what he got it from.  He also brought me some canvas tarps-some are still brand new that have Bell System on it.  I will post pictures of it.  I just don't know why Bell System would have made tarps?  I will try to get those pictures up...

John

G-Man

Quote from: John S on March 08, 2014, 09:06:28 AM
My dad brought it to me.  He had it stored away for years.  He does not remember what he got it from.  He also brought me some canvas tarps-some are still brand new that have Bell System on it.  I will post pictures of it.  I just don't know why Bell System would have made tarps?  I will try to get those pictures up...

John

The Bell System did not make tarps but purchased them for their own use; the same as their vehicles which also had "BELL SYSTEM" painted on the doors or elsewhere.

They had the tarps custom crested with "BELL SYSTEM" in order to deter theft.

G-Man

We now know that it was not an item issued for Bell System use but rather utilized by the Illinois Bell Telephone Company.

Perhaps someone else can identify what the dowels and ropes were used for but I suspect that the bag was used for intercompany mail and documentation with the intended department's name and address was placed in the provided window.

Typically these bags were nicknamed "Pony Express" bags.

Quote from: John S on March 08, 2014, 09:01:01 AM
Here are some more pictures.....hard to read.......

RETURN TO:
ILLINOIS BELL TEL. CO.
2323 SOUTH ROCKWELL ST.
CHICAGO 8 ILLINOIS
STATE

Its a cool looking bag....

John

John S

I have to say-things were made of quality back then.  These tarps are strong-built to last...

John

G-Man

Quote from: John S on March 08, 2014, 09:28:35 AM
I have to say-things were made of quality back then.  These tarps are strong-built to last...

John

Bell System B Tarpaulins
Description and Use

http://doc.telephonecollectors.info/dm/081-020-112_I1.pdf

John S

G-man Thanks for the link!!!!!!!  Its great that you can find information about history.

John

Mr. Bones

Great information! Thanks for sharing.

Sorta makes me homesick for my home of many years, a shelter-half!

Nothing quite like the smell of vintage canvas, especially wet. Ten times out of ten, it beat the bejeebers out of not having a shelter half, btw.

I still have a pair, and still love and utilize my 'pup tent'. Perhaps I just got brain damaged, growing up in Cub and Boy Scouts. Reckon 8yrs in the military drove the final nails (tent-pegs?) in my affliction! ;)

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus