News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The phone stand that is no more

Started by BDM, June 19, 2014, 02:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

A friend snapped this pic somewhere off Gratiot Ave north of Detroit. The note says "Silence is the only friend you have who can never ever destroy you". The note is what caught his attention really. It's weathered and has water damage. So that note has been on there for at least a few days.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Shovelhead

Kind of surprised that nobody has turned the booth in for scrap value yet. Guess the proximity to the city makes the difference.
;)

WEBellSystemChristian

It looks like the upper part of the housing was removed, but everything else stayed behind to die slowly. I wonder who put the note there?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

BDM

Funny as my friend is wondering the same thing. Why anyone spent the time to write a note like that then stick it in a long-gone payphone stand.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Phonesrfun

Looks like a possible source for a coin relay.
-Bill G

twocvbloke

Someone should call up the local phone company that owns that and say "I'd like to give what's left of this a home, can I have it?"... ;D

Though the note about the silence is a bit of a misnomer, cos silence can be golden, but it is also very very lonely... :o

BDM

Somehow I get the feeling, whomever owns this phone, stopped caring a long time ago ???
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

ESalter

When the operating company removes the phone and leaves it, they abandon the enclosure and site to the property owner.  If you see something you want out there, talk to the land owner, lots of times they're more than happy to someone willing to make eyesores like that disappear.  Also, the phone in the picture looks to be an Elcotel phone, the vault and coin return are backwards, so that coin relay wouldn't be any good on anything other than Elcotel phones.

I've posted before, but just a reminder in case anyone is interested, I have a bunch of really nice pedestals and Qwest blue aluminum L31 enclosures like that in anyone is interested.

---Eric