News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

First attempt at polishing shells

Started by Under Dog, October 27, 2014, 10:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Dog

I'm out on the road for the next week or so, away from my garage and tools.  Before I left, however, I took the shell and handset off my 5302.  Also grabbed some rags and the bottle of Novus.  No boring nights in the hotel for me!!!

The shell is cleaning up nicely.  The handset, not so much.  The Novus doesn't seem to really do much for it.  Thoughts?

tallguy58

Novus 2. Red bottle.

Lots of elbow grease.
Cheers........Bill

RotarDad

Underdog - Most F1s and all G1 handsets are bakelite which tend to get rough on the surface over time.  Unless you have an early 50s thermoplastic F1, the handsets often require more aggressive measures.   There are many posts here about polishing bakelite, and many have different opinions on what works best.  For me, I will take 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand first, then use the Novus.  If the bakelite is really bad, you can use a coarser grit.  Again there are many opinions on this.  I would experiment to get the results you like.   Bakelite will seldom shine up as well, or look as black, as the thermoplastic shell, however.
Paul

WesternElectricBen

I use my bench buffer with a fine rouge and pad, but I assume you couldn't bring that on the road. :)

Ben

Under Dog

Ben... not this trip.  I have 2 deep cycle batteries and a sizable inverter in the garage that haven't made it into the new work van yet.  In the old van I had the TV and microwave set up, as well as the ability to run some power tools!

:o

Greg G.

Quote from: RotarDad on October 27, 2014, 10:40:17 PM
There are many posts here about polishing bakelite, and many have different opinions on what works best.  For me, I will take 3000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand first, then use the Novus.  If the bakelite is really bad, you can use a coarser grit.  Again there are many opinions on this.  I would experiment to get the results you like.   Bakelite will seldom shine up as well, or look as black, as the thermoplastic shell, however.

Yes regarding the number of different opinions on polishing bakelite.  My opinion was formed from the fact that bakelite has a thin outer layer that gives it it's new sheen, but it wears off over time and can't be brought back.  It can be made to look better however using various techniques.  Here's an article regarding bakelite I've bookmarked:  http://www.britishtelephones.com/bakelit1.htm  There's also an entire thread about restoring bakelite.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e