News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

554 handset cradle "please wait" question

Started by gpo706, August 01, 2009, 09:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

I maybe picked this up wrong somewhere along the line, but my 554 seems to have an upper "on" and lower "off" position on the cradle when the handset is on it or off, but there is a middle resistance on the cradle, now I may be imagining this but was this used for an on position with the handset hung delicately to hang the handset on without cutting off the line whilst waiting for someone else to pick it off the cradle and answer their call.

Mine aint gonna do this anymore after I put a 15ft cord on the handset, but then again it didnt when I had my 5ft handset cord on it.

What is this "middle" position on the cradle, if not what I think it was for?

Thanks,

Scot
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bingster

I'm not sure what the resistance is that you're feeling midways through the switchhook's travel, but it's not to allow the phone to sit while someone else comes to the phone.  That's what most folks used the ridges on top of the phone for.  The handset's receiver element hooks on those ridges, allowing you to hang the handset from the side.  I don't know if that use was the intention of the designers, but those raised bumps sure came in handy for that.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I agree with Bingster on the 554.  There may be a rough spot in the travel of the hook that is giving you that impression.  Maybe something rubbing?  A photo of the hook assembly with the cover off would be nice to see.  Bingster, I have read somewhere that those ridges were in fact designed with the intent of allowing the handset to hang on the side of the phone.

gpo706

Dear Bingster and Dennis, I must have been imagining I read this somewhere, but the ridges on the top, I just tried it and can see where the design comes from!

My cradle does have a nice two-click/clunk operation I just supposed it was a clever bit of design.

The GPO 711 equivalent has a simpler design you just take off the horizontal handset and hang it vertically by the receiver end between the front cradle horns.

Kinda two different approaches to the same scenario.

I'm gobsmacked how I overlooked those little ridges on my 554, you learn something new everyday talking to folks like you!

Thank you very much.

Scot
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"