News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

English Automatic Electric Old Ivory 1A

Started by sebbel, January 10, 2015, 06:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

I found myself a rough gem at auction today. I need to find a cradle for it.

I don collect AE telephone and know nothing about it. But those are pretty scarce aren't they? Was $80 too much?
Seb.

HarrySmith

Sounds like a good deal. Where's the pictures? You know we love pictures!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

sebbel

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 10, 2015, 06:29:10 PM
Sounds like a good deal. Where's the pictures? You know we love pictures!

Woops... I forgot to attach them. I added them now. I think its a 1A I know nothing of Strowger/AE phones...
Seb.

unbeldi

Yeah, it stands to reason this is exactly why AE made the cradle from metal for the black Bakelite phones in the 20 and 30s.  These cradle ears are too vulnerable in plastic.   One can find many broken off just like this.
There are plastic molding kits that would probably work for remolding the ear.

HarrySmith

Nice! Good luck finding a cradle. I really like that number plate, much fancier than the ones on this side of the pond!
CORRECTION- In reading this post, I did not mean number plate, rather the AE name plate :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

sebbel

I've seen a bunch online with a chrome cradle which I find much nicer. I may try to find that.
Seb.

Doug Rose

Seb ....for now turn the cradle around so the damage is in the back. Really nice color, would be tough to match after all these years in different environments....Doug
Kidphone

sebbel

Doug,
I could but its not my cup of tea really I'm not looking to display it. I'd just like to complete it before  I sell it. I hadn't realized how uncommon this set is, so finding a replacement even a chrome one might be hard. I'll just let it go as is.

I collect Canadian phones only Northern really and I just don't have the space for more that 10-15 phones. The only exception to that was my Bell Canada Blake. I made space for that one :)

I just recalled 1A to be fairly uncommon so I got it.
Seb.

Doug Rose

Seb....you are doing great with it!! .....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/nxr9ub2

<edit> SOLD for $1025
Kidphone

twocvbloke

Technically it's an "ATM" rather than an "AE", Automatic Telephone Manufacturing co., from over in scouser country (aka Liverpool)... ;D

baldopeacock

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 18, 2015, 08:06:59 AM
Seb....you are doing great with it!! .....Doug
<edit> SOLD for $1025

Purchased for $80 - yep, I'd say he did great.  :)

sebbel

No it's American made. As we found out this one was made for the Newfoundland Market at the time a British Colony. So it is an ATM branded AE phone.  As far as I could tell all part are American made AE parts except for the chrome plate in the cradle.

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 19, 2015, 03:52:47 AM
Technically it's an "ATM" rather than an "AE", Automatic Telephone Manufacturing co., from over in scouser country (aka Liverpool)... ;D
Seb.