News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 hodge podge

Started by podor, January 31, 2015, 07:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

podor

I have a Western Electric 500 I got with some other phones to at seems to be a bunch of odd ball parts. The base, ringer, network and receiver are '68. The dial and housing are '57. I assumed the whole thing was white and badly discolored, but the housing appears to be beige. Everything else was white (and trashed beyond use). The hosing is soft plastic and in pretty good shape. Is the housing worth anything?

baldopeacock

Could you post some photos?   The beige case and dial, dial face might be interesting depending on which beige it is.

podor

I've tried a few times to post some pictures, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'll try again later.

podor

I had to do some resizing to get the to be attached. The inside of the housing doesn't appear to be discolored. The inside of the dial face does appear to be white, with the difference shown in the picture. The finger wheel is a 2 piece. The dial is dated 9/57 and the housing is 12/57. Everything else is dated 68.

Kenton K

It actually looks ivory to me.

the dial looks like faded white.

Funny how that all got together.

Ken

andre_janew

Seems odd that an older case and dial would be put on a newer base.  It is usually a newer case and dial that are put on an older base.  Have you tried it?  Does it work?

baldopeacock

Curious - what's the color code on the dial?

podor

It doesn't work. I haven't gotten too deep in the wiring since I'm not sure what to do with it yet. Everything at first glance looks ok.

Where is the code on the dial? The only marking on the face is 18. The dial itself is 7D3 and 9-57 on one side and 4L67 two time on the opposite side. It has to be white. Would there be a code on the housing? 12A is cast in by the plungers and it's stamped 12 24 57 on the front edge.

I really am stumped about the logic behind this thing. It has to be just spare parts. In the disgusting state it's in, everything matches well. That's what's really odd.

HarrySmith

The dial is a 7D and the color code is -3. IIRC that code is Black.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

podor

So the dial and housing weren't from the same phone either. I thought it was a bit of a time gap between the dial and the housing. Well, I'm not going to waste any time on this. Thanks for the help!

Greg G.

I would keep it in your parts bin.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e