News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1936 Field Trial 302

Started by zaphod01, March 09, 2015, 08:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

All 5-type dials found made before 2nd quarter of 1938 have phenol pulse pawls, which made the dials almost silent. This dial could be a modified 4H, but if it's a 5H, then I believe  it's 1938-1945, and not 1935-1937, and therefore not original to the set, whether or not the contact springs have been replaced.

Also, I don't know about the dial adapter (gasket). It's possible that they used black, but production sets from 1937-1939 (and perhaps later) used undyed (tan) 59A dial adapters.

One of the cords has also been replaced, since it is neoprene or rubber rather than fabric jacketed.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Looking at the auction picture I believe it is clear that the dial has a 5H stamp.

andre_janew

Darn!  I was hoping it would have a number on it similar to what is on the handset.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on March 10, 2015, 07:07:16 PM
Darn!  I was hoping it would have a number on it similar to what is on the handset.

I would have thought so too. Usually every part had a D-number or serial number on it.

I would guess that this trial set was a manual instrument during the trial.

The number card probably does not belong on that phone in any case.  There were only a few large cities, such as NYC, that had 411 service in the 1930s and that used 211 for long distance.  In fact, 211 was not used on anything but panel switches and Crossbars.  The No. 1 Crossbar, I think, was installed in 1937, so that was after this trial.  The set is supposed to have been installed at Cincinnati, by the handwriting on the bottom. I don't know whether Cincinnati had a panel switch and I haven't found a quick answer to that just now.

Someone installed a dial later, because they wanted to use it.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on March 10, 2015, 10:29:56 PM

Someone installed a dial later, because they wanted to use it.

Or they thought it looked more authentic with a c. 1940 dial---NOT!

unbeldi

Installing that 1970ish front Cinci sticker adds to the nostalgic flavor.  LOL.  (Really?)

This building may have something to do with all that:

The Cincinnati telephone building, constructed in 1931.
It had the world's longest straight multiple board with 88 positions.
You think they would have had a Panel switch 5 years later?  Apparently conversion to dial wasn't finished until the 50s.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: poplar1 on March 10, 2015, 12:29:21 PM
Paul F. shows this D-97464 set, with either an E1E handset or D-97730 handset.
http://www.paul-f.com/wep302.html#D97464b

So what's different about this D-97758 handset?

I am not be familiar with D numbers molded into parts. I was under the impression D numbers were Usually stamped in Vermillion ink.
On my 1948 field trial 500 set , all D numbers are stamped, not impressed, or molded into any parts.
So as far as My personal experience, this is Odd to me.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on March 11, 2015, 12:38:20 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on March 10, 2015, 12:29:21 PM
Paul F. shows this D-97464 set, with either an E1E handset or D-97730 handset.
http://www.paul-f.com/wep302.html#D97464b

So what's different about this D-97758 handset?

I am not be familiar with D numbers molded into parts. I was under the impression D numbers were Usually stamped in Vermillion ink.
On my 1948 field trial 500 set , all D numbers are stamped, not impressed, or molded into any parts.
So as far as My personal experience, this is Odd to me.
D/P

On the development versions of the E1 handset they did the same, the type was in the usual logo area. The early versions of the A1 handset mounting had a D number engraved or punched into the neck behind the cradle.

Indeed, other parts were ink stamped.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on March 10, 2015, 10:47:33 PM
Installing that 1970ish front Cinci sticker adds to the nostalgic flavor.  LOL.  (Really?)

This building may have something to do with all that:

The Cincinnati telephone building, constructed in 1931.
It had the world's longest straight multiple board with 88 positions.
You think they would have had a Panel switch 5 years later?  Apparently conversion to dial wasn't finished until the 50s.

I don't know what kind of equipment was used there in 1931. However, manual "DSA" (Dial Service A)cord boards were used in dial (central) offices well into the 1970s. These were on the accounting books as "manual" equipment.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on March 10, 2015, 06:56:44 PM
Looking at the auction picture I believe it is clear that the dial has a 5H stamp.

Seller confirms that it is a 5H dial dated II 41.

zaphod01

Just for the record...it went for $1,853.00
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Doug Rose

I wathced the end of the auction, sure did jump...... from $400 to $900 to $1800 in the last 10 seconds. ...Doug
Kidphone

zaphod01

I was the $400. I'd been high bid for awhile but I knew the heavy hitters would be active in the last few seconds. Too rich for my blood.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Doug Rose

Robert...I agree. Great phone but you'd have to display it open for anyone to see the difference. The paint looked great, but I am still perplexed on the metal hookswitch cover. Did they start out solid, switched to vented for 6 months, then back to solid. I guess we will never know....Doug
Kidphone