"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Purchase Question - North Electric

Started by compubit, April 27, 2015, 09:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Ok,

I have a question for the board: I have an opportunity to purchase a Red North Electric 540 - but the dial appears to have been replaced with a WE/NE/ITT 500 style dialing mechanism/bezel.  Should I purchase it? Price is in the $35 range.

I like the uniqueness of the design (vice the ubiquitous 500), have high doubts about being able to outfit it with a correct North Electric dial, especially in red (I would consider 2 tone, if I could find a 540 dial mechanism...).  Everything else seems original (handset/coiled cord/base) - though I have no way to take the cover off prior to purchase.

Thoughts?

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

paul-f

That's an interesting combination, Jim.  It would be interesting to see photos.  Did they have to modify anything to get the dial in?

Finding a black North dial to replace it should be manageable.  I agree that finding a red one is a long shot.

In any case, $35 sounds like a deal.  Of course, I live in former Bell System territory, so we seldom see any North phones or parts here.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line