and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Grade A Packing Job

Started by benhutcherson, August 29, 2009, 11:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

A few weeks ago, there was a little bit of discussion about this auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150365326311

Figuring that it might be worth the gamble, I went ahead and bit, and it was delivered to my door for $45 shipped.

It arrived the other day, and I was so impressed with the sellers packing job that I had to share.

First, we have a sheet of bubble wrap to protect everything from hitting the top of the box.

As you can see, the seller was nice enough to remove the handsets from the cradles, and even stacked the telephones such that they didn't have too much room to move around.

Miraculously, the only casualty was the bezel popping off on the TT phone.

This aqua telephone looks to be a decent prize, with the soft center fingerwheel and minimal rust on the feet. It's filthy, though, as are all the telephones in the lot, and has three different colors of paint splattered on it. I think that it will clean up relatively well, and hopefully be a nice looking telephone.

Also, this lot included one of the F1A bell chime ringers. This basically is a self-contained C4A ringer with two huge gongs like what you would find on an old wooden subset. I haven't hooked this one up or tried it yet, but I'm told that they're LOUD.

If the aqua phone turns out decent, I'll be happy, although I probably overpaid for it at that. I can, however, use the F1A in the room where I have a 701B Princess hoooked up.

HobieSport

Yep, that's some fine packin' there. ::)

I can't tell from the photos; what years are the aqua and the yellow dial phones?
-Matt

benhutcherson

The aqua is 2-60. The date is gone off the bottom, but the network, dial, and ringer all match this. The receiver elements are from the '70s.

The yellow is 65-I don't recall the month offhand.

McHeath

Packing for shipment does not get any better!   ::)

Amazing that nothing was busted.  The aqua phone looks to be a good catch, and that yellow 500 will make a nice phone as well.  Never heard one of those bell ringers.

HobieSport

I have a aqua 3-60 but it's more faded than the one you have, Ben. I also just tore down an aqua frankenphone; 2-59 base and network, '56 ringer, and '68 casing, dial and handset. Yes it's a monster, but it's alive.
-Matt