"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Andy Griffith Show --- Its Phones and Show Discussion

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 10, 2014, 11:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on July 21, 2015, 07:38:25 PM
The phone is reply #40 iis either a  653A (or "1653A) (anti-sidetone) or 553A  (or 1553A) (sidetone) -- not a "634A" or "633A." The  other one appears to be a Kellogg with missing gongs. Note the sheet metal cover for the hook. Also, the "picture frame front" on it; the WE 333A usually did not have that design.

To be honest, I was so hung up on that strange looking long received cord that I didn't even notice those were two different phones altogether. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the phone I spot and post in this topic. I assume that is not a receiver cord, or did they make them that long and if so for what reason?

andre_janew

I think it is possible they made receiver cords that long.  For what purpose, I don't know.  Some people just simply want an extra long cord.

poplar1

Most Western Electric receiver cords are 2 ft. 6 inches or 3 feet. Since subscribers were told to speak about one half inch from the transmitter, anything over 3 feet would be impractical. Early WE handsets had 4 ft. cords as standard.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on July 21, 2015, 07:38:25 PM
The phone is reply #40 iis either a  653A (or "1653A) (anti-sidetone) or 553A  (or 1553A) (sidetone) -- not a "634A" or "633A." The  other one appears to be a Kellogg with missing gongs. Note the sheet metal cover for the hook. Also, the "picture frame front" on it; the WE 333A usually did not have that design.

Season 1 Episode 32 at about 17:45 we see a close up of that version very long receiver cord wall phone discussed my poplar1 in the quote.

Same episode about about 14 minutes into the show we see one of the infamous maps mentioned in discussions of the show. I caught it right away, what it was, that is.

andre_janew

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on August 08, 2015, 07:56:24 PM
Does this mean that Mayberry was actually in Idaho?

No, it means that in the first episodes, someone in props needed a map and the only thing they had handy was a map of the state of Idaho. Some say this map was turned upside down, haven't seen that yet. In the fourth year, the map is that of Cincinnati, Ohio as discussed at the linked site.

I those days before DVDs and VCRs and DVRs all with feeze frame capabilities, these props would not have been captured for discussion. After all, it was the content of the dialog that was the show, not the dressings placed on the set.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: andre_janew on August 08, 2015, 07:56:24 PM
Does this mean that Mayberry was actually in Idaho?
No, they just used a map of Idaho and Montana to let watchers assume it was of the Mayberry County area, or something like that.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

In Season 5, Episode 11 titled "The Pageant," the director of the pageant calls Andy's house to discuss the poor acting shown by Aunt Bea. In the first picture below from about 18:25 into the episode, it's the director on a phone in the town's Civic Auditorium (hall)  talking to Andy who is sitting on his living room couch with his dial blanked black 500.

In the second photo from the same episode, at about 19:45, we see a similar wall phone to that one in the Civic Hall.

Could this be the same phone? The camera angle of the director could be shooting from within the door frame (we never do see what is on the far left kitchen wall (the painting) in the second shot, the normal camera angle of the kitchen shot taken over the table toward the door, and the phone.

And this seems to be a different phone from the one seen on the wall with the long receiver cord and the other one seen in earlier seasons.

Looks like the same phone and interesting how the corner of the wall to the left of both phones is about the same in each image. I love the smoke and mirrors of theater. Make do with what you have BEFORE throwing more money after it.

WEBellSystemChristian

I bet that's what it is, John!

When I scrolled down and saw that picture (without seeing the picture of the kitchen yet) I figured it was a view in the kitchen! It was a nice way for the production company to save a few bucks, huh? ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

While watching an episode on TV, I spotted this D1 with and F1 and a dial blank. Had to go into the TV index to find the show. Was titled "Opie's Charity" and was the 8th episode of Season 1, about 17 minutes into the show.

So, a quick look through this topics pages shows they had a D1 the first year, a 302 the third season and a 500 the 5th season, something like that. There is a post showing a 500 in the living room toward the end of season 3. That could be. Way to many different phones in that show to keep track of without a program . . .

TelePlay

In the continuing forum saga of the kitchen phone, just spotted this in Season 2, Episode 9 about 18 minutes into the show. Prior to this, we saw just the fly swatter and then after this we saw the phone with a very long receiver cord and then a short, normal receiver cord. In the serial transition or morphing of this area of the kitchen wall from flyswatter to phone, we are treated to this "version" of the swat-phone . . .  ;)

Looks like the receiver cord is wrapped around the phone, for some reason, it it's there. Doesn't the receive look like one of those cheap repros from India?

andre_janew

Keep in mind that the internet didn't exist when this show first aired.  Those old phones used in the first season were probably getting more and more difficult to find.  Also, not everyone sticks with the same phone for 35 years like my grandma did!

AE_Collector

Apparently the phone installer who upgraded them to the 302 knocked the lamp off the table while he was at it. They had to replace it but the installer who upgraded them to a 500 faired better and didn't bust the lamp.

Terry

Quote from: TelePlay on September 07, 2015, 09:21:09 PM
While watching an episode on TV, I spotted this D1 with and F1 and a dial blank. Had to go into the TV index to find the show. Was titled "Opie's Charity" and was the 8th episode of Season 1, about 17 minutes into the show.

So, a quick look through this topics pages shows they had a D1 the first year, a 302 the third season and a 500 the 5th season, something like that. There is a post showing a 500 in the living room toward the end of season 3. That could be. Way to many different phones in that show to keep track of without a program . . .

Fabius

I'm sure all of us have either watched Mayberry in our younger
years or have periodically seen some episodes over the years .  Did you consider why things were generally peaceful in and around Mayberry almost all the time?

The reason Mayberry was so peaceful and quiet was because
nobody was married - Andy, Aunt Bea, Barney, Floyd, Howard,
Goober, Gomer, Sam, Earnest T Bass, Helen, Thelma Lou, Clara,
and of course Opie - all single.

The only married person was Otis, and he stayed drunk.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

andre_janew

I never really thought about it, but you're right!  Every one of the main characters was single except for Otis and he was drunk a lot of the time.  Also, in recent years, there has been speculation about Floyd being gay due to his peculiar speech and mannerisms.  Of course, I don't believe a word of it!