Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: electric al on August 24, 2015, 08:18:57 AM

Just for fun !  Feel free to add to this >  ;D

USES For Manhole covers   ......

#1   Watch Fob .
#2   Ear Ring .

#3 Bus Token.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: dumb_old_guy on August 24, 2015, 09:30:36 PM
They are heavy enough that I still have a thumbnail that grows a little wonky from mashing myself when I was 13.
We used to tie skateboards to our bellies and a flashlight to the sides of our heads and explore all the storm sewers and cable vaults we could access. In retrospect, it was dangerous and stupid...but it was the '70s and no one wore bicycle helmets, either.  ;)

cheers
Rob

Ever find or see anything interesting?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Bill

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 23, 2015, 07:53:25 PM
Those Bell System man hole covers are everywhere in my area! I barely give them a second look since my phone hobby took over!
They are very common in Portland (Maine, don't know about Oregon) as well - at least in the old part of town, down near the waterfront. Take a stroll along Commercial Street to see dozens. Some are in the sidewalk, some in the street, and to my eye, anyway, there is no difference. This being an active industrial/commercial waterfront, there is a lot of very heavy truck traffic.

Bill

19and41

That would be an interesting project for someone to make a cast and a lightweight facsimile from.  That'd make a snazzy foam rubber shower mat.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Dan/Panther

We had a lady years ago that was going to do that, but it never came to fruition.
I would love to have a fiberglass cast of one to paint and hang on the wall. Not to mention that you could sell them, on eBay.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

A miniature one would be a great trivet.
— Arthur C. Clarke

dumb_old_guy

Quote from: Brinybay on August 24, 2015, 11:41:35 PM
Quote from: dumb_old_guy on August 24, 2015, 09:30:36 PM
They are heavy enough that I still have a thumbnail that grows a little wonky from mashing myself when I was 13.
We used to tie skateboards to our bellies and a flashlight to the sides of our heads and explore all the storm sewers and cable vaults we could access. In retrospect, it was dangerous and stupid...but it was the '70s and no one wore bicycle helmets, either.  ;)

cheers
Rob

Ever find or see anything interesting?

It was all interesting to us. By the time we were in our later teens, we carried ropes and hooks to climb to different levels...never found a body or anything...except for a couple dead rats.

cheers
Rob

Tim Mc

One of my friends is a splicer with AT&T (SWBT) and had a manhole cover laid into his garage floor.  The concrete flatwork guys weren't quite sure what the round form was for.  Now, if there was a real tunnel under there, that would be a conversation piece.

Sargeguy

Here is one down the block from me.  It is from the Providence Telephone Company which ceased to exist about 100 years ago:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 25, 2015, 02:11:39 PM
We had a lady years ago that was going to do that, but it never came to fruition.
I would love to have a fiberglass cast of one to paint and hang on the wall. Not to mention that you could sell them, on eBay.

D/P

If I had the know-how, I would have no qualms about taking a pressure washer, cleaning it off in place and making a cast.  Just wear a safety vest and a hard-hat and I bet nobody would question you!  Even better yet, have a buddy stand around with a clipboard!
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Brinybay on August 26, 2015, 02:07:18 AM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 25, 2015, 02:11:39 PM

D/P

If I had the know-how, I would have no qualms about taking a pressure washer, cleaning it off in place and making a cast.  Just wear a safety vest and a hard-hat and I bet nobody would question you!  Even better yet, have a buddy stand around with a clipboard!
Don't forget orange cones! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

Got to have those orange cones to look legit!

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Brinybay on August 24, 2015, 04:00:36 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 24, 2015, 12:40:25 PM
Just aminor observation onm my part, I noticed a few requested that Briny send them one. What about the big hole left behind ?
D/P

I would climb down into it and look for more Bell System artifacts!  Piece of plywood and some duct tape for the hole.

How about a fake cardboard man hole cover ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

You folks have got me trying to avoid driving over any covers on the road!  Thanks!  ;D
— Arthur C. Clarke

Greg G.

I did a double-take on this picture in today's Seattle Times cover photo.  I had to look it up online to see the fine print because I could only make out the bell logo in the middle in the paper version, it's actually a US West manhole cover in the picture.  They're almost identical in appearance, except the US West cover looks like it has three grappling holes in each side, where the Bell System one only has two.
- Mike Row
e