"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 197H payphone manual ?

Started by wfs1933, August 26, 2015, 05:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfs1933

Hello
Does anyone know where i can get a manual/parts diagram ect for this payphone (TCI?) i can't seem to find squat on 3 slots on the TCI site.
i have no idea how to see if any parts are missing, what locks to use (both are missing) how to remove the damaged daisy wheel.
I would sure like some expert help on finding a few documents! this is my first payphone. I mainly would like it to work like it left WE not really to use as an everyday phone. I greatly appreciate anyones help!  Thanks.

G-Man

There's a considerable amount of documentation for WECo payphones in the TCI Library but the site is not very search friendly to those who are not well acquainted with it.

The upper-housing lock most likely would be either a 10G or 10H and removing the number-plate should be intuitive.

See if the following schematic helps in determining if any components are missing...

Russ62

Hi,    There's  a  lot of info on Western payphones at the bottom of this page including internal views and discussion of the parts. http://pdfs.telephonearchive.com/bsps.html     Your 197H is the same as a 197G  except the coin chute accepts US and Canadian coins.                 Russell

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on August 26, 2015, 05:45:48 AM
There's a considerable amount of documentation for WECo payphones in the TCI Library but the site is not very search friendly to those who are not well acquainted with it.

The upper-housing lock most likely would be either a 10G or 10H and removing the number-plate should be intuitive.

See if the following schematic helps in determining if any components are missing...

This document from the TCI Library may answer some of your other questions..