News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

switching out parts

Started by Babybearjs, March 05, 2016, 01:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

in my earlier thread, I mentioned that the 465GC that I bought was wired for 1A service only. does it hurt the value of the phone to interchange parts to change the features? If I were to switch out the key assembly so that the phone is wired for 1A1/1A2 service would it still be valued the same? or better...
John

Phonesrfun

My short answer is that it depends.

You don't know who out there will be looking for just that phone some day and will be willing to pay an arm and a leg for it.  Either because they are running a 1A1 system, or because they want just that very model number of a phone.  Neither happen every day, but you never know.

Changing parts out like the switches for other parts isn't necessarily permanent, so if you can keep track of where the old parts are and how you re-wired the phone, you can always put it back, so not a whole lot of risk.

I guess since you already have 1A2 phones and single line phones, you might not really need this one, unless it was an emotional decision to buy it in the first place.  Heaven knows we collectors make our share of emotionally driven buying decisions.   

So, you could turn around and flip it right now.  I doubt if rewiring it and changing its model number to a 1A2 keyset would get you any more value either.

Would there have been any clues at the outset that you were not getting a phone that is not what you wanted? 
-Bill G

Babybearjs

its funny, how people sell on ebay.... with crappy pictures, they don't get the price for the item, but when you show an item that has a specific model number.... then it sells... and that's what I was looking at... based on the BSP, the 465 looked promising, but the practice DIDN'T show the full story...  I was getting a unit that was wired for the 1A service, and the practice showed that it was convertible.... when it wasn't. I want to change out the leaf contacts on the switch hook from 2 pair to 3 pair... to support the A-Lead circuit... the red-slate and the red-green leads are not on this phone. I wanted to add them to make the switch hook more compatible  with the 1A1/1A2 systems. then I got looking at my 464 phones and found that there was no room for the exclusion circuit on the terminal board based on the original configuration. (E1-E4 missing) so I am giving up on the idea because of the lack of room to support the exclusion circuit. but the question remains, IF I alter the leaf contacts on the switch hook, would it hurt the value.... the BSP is so general that its hard to know if a specific model is designed for which specific service.... all I see is the 465 was a 5 line with hold with an exclusion circuit. whether its wired for 1A or 1A1 is not stated... and the schematics don't identify specific models...   Now I see why the 500 series phones were created..... they just ran out of room! 
John