"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Telecom 554

Started by HowlingWolven, May 25, 2016, 11:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HowlingWolven

Hi, new poster here.

I managed to get my hands on a Northern Telecom 554 and have been trying to get it to work, all that's left to do is to reconfigure the hookswitch assembly (I got a little too excited when taking it apart for cleaning...) and hook it up to a normal phone line.

It seems to be pretty well up on the date, everything is stamped '72 except for the dial, that seems to be '57.

However, it has a strange white plunger on the side that makes the hookswitch go up a bit when pressed. I can't find a single thing about Northern Telecom 554s with this mechanism. Does anyone know anything about it?

Jack Ryan

Welcome to the list.

Quote from: HowlingWolven on May 25, 2016, 11:34:58 PM
However, it has a strange white plunger on the side that makes the hookswitch go up a bit when pressed. I can't find a single thing about Northern Telecom 554s with this mechanism. Does anyone know anything about it?

Where exactly is the button? Top of the case on (your) right?

There are a couple of 554s with buttons up there are they are party line phones. On the 554A1A (LB talking, CB signalling) and the 554Q2A (magneto) it is a hook latch to help check if the line is busy before attempting to use it.

Jack.

HowlingWolven

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 26, 2016, 12:02:18 AM
Welcome to the list.

Thanks!

Quote from: Jack Ryan

Where exactly is the button? Top of the case on (your) right?

There are a couple of 554s with buttons up there are they are party line phones. On the 554A1A (LB talking, CB signalling) and the 554Q2A (magneto) it is a hook latch to help check if the line is busy before attempting to use it.

Jack.

I believe it has the same function, but it's not on the top, it's actually on the right side of the case. I'll see if I can't add some photos of it.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HowlingWolven on May 26, 2016, 01:38:33 AM
I believe it has the same function, but it's not on the top, it's actually on the right side of the case. I'll see if I can't add some photos of it.

In that case it must be an NE-554FRN - that is also a hook latch.

There are other buttons for exclusion etc but they do not interact with the hook switch (as far as I know).

Perhaps one of the Canadians on the list has a circuit diagram. I think these are conventional loop dialling (not simplex) telephones.

Regards
Jack

HowlingWolven

Here's a picture of it. Wired quarter-modular, and with a good view of the button.

Link to an imgur gallery

Quote from: Jack Ryan on May 26, 2016, 02:37:51 AM
In that case it must be an NE-554FRN - that is also a hook latch.

Now that you mention it, the base does appear to be marked with that FRN bit.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HowlingWolven on May 26, 2016, 09:47:34 PM
Here's a picture of it.

Well, it looks like an NE554FRN. Have you tested the mechanical interaction between the button and the hook switch? Is it working - can you test the electrical operation of the button?

I don't have a circuit of this model. An example of the procedure is:

NTP 502-8151-400 STD Issued: 77-01 Edition: 05
NE500ER, FR. FRN (MD), NE554FRN(MD), NE500FQA and NE554FQA (Plunger Switch to Prevent Party Line Interference) - QKEI7A and QKEI7B Conversion Kits

Wired quarter-modular...

Presumably no 554 or derivative can be more that half modular.

Regards
Jack

tipnring

It is a NE-554FRN.  here is a write up from an Station and Installation Repair Manual (1975). Hope you can read it...Dennis