"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dialing Problems (Rotary)

Started by rinaldit2, October 18, 2017, 11:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rinaldit2

Hi All,

A rotary dial conundrum here that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.  I switched recently from Verizon to RCN, and my WE 300 could no longer dial out.  Still receives calls but when you go to dial, the dial tone just continues uninterrupted.  I called RCN and they assured me that my service should still be able to handle rotary phones.  I then tested a few other sets on the same line (WE and SC 500s) and – same issue.  Does anyone know whether there's anything I can do?  I searched through old threads and found some people having similar issues but couldn't find a resolution that looks like it quite fits this.  Any advice much appreciated,

-Tom Rinaldi, NY

TelePlay

If RCN accepts pulse dialing, the window of the pulse may be very tight (9.9 to 10.1 PPS) making it time consuming to get a dial speed adjusted to that window, if the dial can be adjusted like a 302, or the people at RCN may be just pulling you leg, lying to you. Even after cleaning, oiling and adjusting the governor on a 302 dial, I rarely get the speed right on 10 PPS, and it can then drift over time a few tenths of PPS.

Not familiar with RCN but you may end up having to install a rototone or a 616 or some other pulse to tone converter.

Other members will probably know better.

===================

Just read through a lot of the online information provided by RCN and could not find any claim that pulse dialing is supported. When I switched to AT&T Uverse, I lost rotary dialing but by said so in their advertising. Other VOiP providers say they do support pulse dialing. The absence of that in the RCN information (and there is a lot of it to read through) is suspicious. Their list of equipment supported is:

Cable converter boxes
        Cable Cards
        Remote controls
        Cable modems
        Routers
        EMTA phone equipment
        Splitters
        Wires and cabling (coax, Ethernet, etc.)

and I don't see anything "old phone" in that list.

19and41

If all of your phones can't dial out it looks like your new service can't use pulse dialing.  You as TelePlay said, may need to get a pulse to tone converter.  There are types that can wire into a single phone and others that interconnect between your phone and the jack.  There are a number of threads on each of the types of converters and their characteristics.  The rep for your provider may not even know rotary phones access the line differently.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andy1702

I had a very similar problem to this with a Grandstream ATA. It turned out teh ATa was much more fussy about pilses than the POST used to be. Not only did I have to get everything very close to 10 pulses per second, the make / break ratio was also critical. The latter was particularly problematic because most of my phones are UK models and the ATA wanted the sligtly different make / break ration that is standard in the USA. Once all my dials were adjusted the problem went away. But only about 1 in 20 phones worked before adjusting.

One good way to test the system is if you can find a push-button phone that is capable of sending out pulse dialling. These pulses are normally generated electronically, so they should be spot on.

Rather than have to adjust every dial I now simply connect everything through a Panassonic PBX, which takes in pulses and sends out tones to the outside world. The PBX is not at all fussy about speeds or ratios.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Babybearjs

I'm so glad I have CableOne.... I don't have that problem.... all my phones dial out just fine....
John

rinaldit2

Thanks all for your input and ideas.  Sounds like this might be a tough nut to crack.  If I make any headway, I will reply here.... wish me luck,

-Tom.

andy1702

Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

19and41

Just bear in mind that you may just need a pulse to tone converter.  There are several threads where folks have wrote about their experiences with the different types.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke