News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone pole for sale...you take it down...lol

Started by RB, February 07, 2018, 08:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Just saw this online yesterday...???WOW??? ???
sposed to be one of first??

AE_Collector

Is there an online article about it?

I watched a TV program recently that showed giant steel power poles quite intricately designed at least 100 years ago that used to have electric lines crossing a river somewhere in Eastern Europe I think.

Terry

twocvbloke

I'd hate to be near that during a thunderstorm... :o

HarrySmith

I have seen that picture before. Somwhere in Europe. Early city phone system. IIRC
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

yup, Europe.
No online info, was just some old pics put together

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 07, 2018, 12:34:21 PM
I'd hate to be near that during a thunderstorm... :o

Safest place to be, right next to the tower. All towers are grounded quite well. Talked to a farmer, when I was siting cell towers, who had one between his house and barn, quite near the house. I asked him how that worked in electrical storms. With the barn being on an elevated area, he said he would get 5 to 10 strikes a summer - had grounding rods with thick copper wire to a big ground post. He said after they put up the tower, it got hit in every big electrical storm but the barn hadn't been hit once.

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on February 07, 2018, 02:58:15 PM
Safest place to be, right next to the tower. All towers are grounded quite well.

Indeed they are, however the induction effect the sudden loud noise has on one's bowels is mightily strong, having been near a couple "near misses" when outdoors during a storm, the sound of lightning close by is enough to scare the youknowwhat out of me!!!  :o

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 07, 2018, 03:02:43 PM
Indeed they are, however the induction effect the sudden loud noise has on one's bowels is mightily strong, having been near a couple "near misses" when outdoors during a storm, the sound of lightning close by is enough to scare the youknowwhat out of me!!!  :o

Been there, done that a couple of times. No thunder if very close, just one heck of a very loud crack or bang. I forgot how many feet you have to be away from a near miss to actually hear the thunder, the sonic boom created by the bolt traveling through the air. It's less than 1 second and if exactly one second, the near miss was 1,100 feet away. A quarter second, 270 feet away (sorry, I could have done metric but didn't). If not hit, those immediate crack thunder events means probably within or closer to it than one hundred feet. From personal experience, at 30 feet away, no thunder, just a loud crack/bang.

HarrySmith

Stockholm! Yes! My memory is not as sharp as it once was. I probably would have pulled that out of the depths eventually!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on February 07, 2018, 03:18:55 PM
Been there, done that a couple of times. No thunder if very close, just one heck of a very loud crack or bang. I forgot how many feet you have to be away from a near miss to actually hear the thunder, the sonic boom created by the bolt traveling through the air. It's less than 1 second and if exactly one second, the near miss was 1,100 feet away. A quarter second, 270 feet away (sorry, I could have done metric but didn't). If not hit, those immediate crack thunder events means probably within or closer to it than one hundred feet. From personal experience, at 30 feet away, no thunder, just a loud crack/bang.

Yep, that's basically what I experienced, one being when I was loitering at a tool stall in an outdoor market (lightning struck a nearby mobile phone mast), the other being behind this house where lightning struck in the small field out the back (probably hit a tree), very loud cracks, the 2nd was even worse cos the lights went out right as it cracked and my UPS units had conked out (bad batteries), so plunged instantly into darkness, turned out that the RCD in the fusebox had tripped, but still... :o

twocvbloke

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 07, 2018, 03:58:30 PM
Stockholm! Yes! My memory is not as sharp as it once was. I probably would have pulled that out of the depths eventually!

Google Image search has a useful feature where you can drag & drop pictures over the text search box and it'll look for that particular image, which is how I found the wikipedia article... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 07, 2018, 04:10:57 PM
Google Image search has a useful feature where you can drag & drop pictures over the text search box and it'll look for that particular image, which is how I found the wikipedia article... :)

For a few years, I've know about TinEye, a reverse image search site.

https://www.tineye.com/

I just clicked on the tower image to get the full sized image, copied its location into the clipboard, pasted it into the TinEye search box and clicked on search. Got 530 hits, all the same image.

The top of the search results page said "Searched over 25.7 billion images in 1.4 seconds."

Didn't know about the google drag and drop feature. Just tried it for that image and go "About 22,500,000 results (1.50 seconds) " which doesn't make sense.

Anyway, goes to prove one is never done learning in the world of IC's.