News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is bakelite recyclable?

Started by Greg G., January 27, 2010, 07:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I mean can it be melted down and used for bakelite telephone repairs?  I ask because I had my acoustic phonograph repaired and am amassing a stack of "junk" 78s that are made of bakelite. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Wallphone

I don't think that it can be melted. That is why it was used to make distributor caps. As mentioned recently, most phone housings will have fill in them. If it is solid Bakelite, I have read on some British radio repair sites that you can grind it to a powder and mix it with epoxy/super glue, and make a paste for repairs. I have not tried this myself but I do have a box of broken Bakelite pieces (courtesy of great eBay packers) to use some day.
Dougpav

ntophones

Here is a link to a thread about grinding the powder:
http://tinyurl.com/y8snx4y
I think Stub1953 did it, and he can probably enlighten you on the subject.
--nto

teka-bb

Bakelite is a thermosetting plastic, also known as a thermoset, is polymer material that irreversibly cures.
Uncontrolled reheating of the material results in reaching the decomposition temperature before the melting point is obtained.
Therefore, a thermoset material cannot be melted and re-shaped after it is cured. This implies that thermosets cannot be recycled, except as filler material:

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosetting_plastic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

Be aware that some old bakelite might be made with asbestos as filler material in order to make it more heat resistant.

Some collectors have had very good result with filing down old bakelite to make filling powder that can be used in combination with a two-part epoxy and coloring powder.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on January 27, 2010, 07:20:19 AM
I mean can it be melted down and used for bakelite telephone repairs?  I ask because I had my acoustic phonograph repaired and am amassing a stack of "junk" 78s that are made of bakelite. 

My understanding is that one of the "fillers" is asbestos. I think it is probably considered "hazardous" vs Recyclable.

If you want to recycle it, the best use would probably be for repairs.

I save busted up telephones for experimenting. If you want to learn sanding soft phones, then a soft phone that is missing a chunk is a good "learning curve" phone.
JMO
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

dsk

The 78's may be made of a different material.

I have heard the material named as "shellac"  later 78's was made of some thermoplastic material.

dsk

Jim Stettler

Quote from: d_s_k on January 27, 2010, 12:32:39 PM
The 78's may be made of a different material.

I have heard the material named as "shellac"  later 78's was made of some thermoplastic material.

dsk

I think the early 78's ones were firered clay and then coated with the recording medium.  I suspect bakelite 78's would have less filler than bakelite telephones, They would probably use a higher quality bakelite, for better reproduction of sound.

Somewher around I have a small envelope of "Kacti" brand needes, they are catus needles for phonographs.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,

HobieSport

I know a local woodworker who melts down old broken shellac 78s and make his own shellac that way. But I've never tried it.
-Matt

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HobieSport on January 27, 2010, 02:40:07 PM
I know a local woodworker who melts down old broken shellac 78s and make his own shellac that way. But I've never tried it.

I think the shellac ones have a clay core. I could be totally off base on the clay , I do remember stories of an uncle using old clay 78's for shotgun practice. I was really young at the time. Shellac sounds right for the recording medium.

JimS
You live, You learn,

Greg G.

I was advised by an antique phonograph collector not to toss or destroy them, one man's junk is another's treasure.  Donate or sell.

For sale:  Misc. 78 rpm records.  25 cents each.  Will consider trade for mint condition Stromberg Carlson 1211 w/dial.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on January 27, 2010, 04:20:42 PM
I was advised by an antique phonograph collector not to toss or destroy them, one man's junk is another's treasure.  Donate or sell.

For sale:  Misc. 78 rpm records.  25 cents each.  Will consider trade for mint condition Stromberg Carlson 1211 w/dial.
At 25cents each, I would donate them to a musuem for shipping, They are easily worth a buck or two as a donation, Probably more.

Another thought is to put them on ebay as a collection, and donate the proceeds. to whatever. You don't really care about them, and someone else does. the proceeds go to a select cause, and you have a deduction if you want/need. I would hate to hear of a record collector shootgunning a 1939 WF 302 set.
JMO
Jim S.
You live, You learn,