News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cost adjustments for shipping labels

Started by wds, August 25, 2018, 08:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I've been getting a lot of these emails from Ebay, saying that I'm paying the wrong postage for my shipments.  Of course the adjustments always result in higher shipping fees, not lower.  I've been fighting with USPS to get these charges dropped, but USPS blames Ebay for the charges.  Has anyone else gotten these charges on their shipments?
Dave

Desert Phone Guy

Have you checked your weigh scale to verify it is accurate?  I know that USPS randomly weighs packages to verify their weight vs the weight on the shipping label are close.  I actually had a conversation with a postal friend, and he stated that is a policy to check and verify label weights.

Just a thought.

Scott

I've had one but they said I had paid too much so I was refunded a couple of bucks. Surprised me.

Scott K.

wds

All of my labels are accurate.  I almost always use flat rate boxes, and they are claiming I'm using cheap flat rate labels with regular large boxes.  I've started taking pictures of the labels on the boxes so i can fight with them if it continues to happen. 
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on August 25, 2018, 03:37:21 PM
All of my labels are accurate.  I almost always use flat rate boxes, and they are claiming I'm using cheap flat rate labels with regular large boxes.  I've started taking pictures of the labels on the boxes so i can fight with them if it continues to happen.

Regular Member Post

To the best of my knowledge and experience, my post office will not accept a box with a flat rate label on the box if the box is not a flat rate box. Of course, the flat rate label has to be correct, a medium label for a medium box and a large label for a large box.

On the other hand, a flat rate box can not be used and will not be accepted with a some other label on it, Priority only or Media or Parcel Select. If it says flat rate on the box, the postage must be the appropriate flat rate postage label.

Failure to do all of the above will end up with the box back on my front step causing me to void the label and print another one that is correct for the box. USPS is good about refunding postage for voided labels but it take 2 to 3 weeks. And it's a hassle to take care of.

I've not received such notices from USPS. Good idea to photograph the label and the box for proof of proper postage used.

wds

When I spoke to USPS, they blamed the problem on Ebay.  They said they were having lots of problems with ebay, especially with the flat rate A boxes.  Always something with Ebay.
Dave

poplar1

Ebay charged me $2.50 yesterday, said I used a flat rate B box with a flat rate A label.
I don't often use B boxes, but I don't recall which type I used.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

that's it!  Fate rate B box is about the same size as a Large Flat Rate box.  Kind of hard to mix the A with the B.  I know I am 100% sure I match the label with the box.  Obviously I don't even print the label until the box is packed and weighed.  I'm expecting more problems from Ebay until enough people complain.
Dave

Partyline4

Probably the buyer making a complaint when they get the item - weighing the box and measuring, etc...

Has happened to me when shipping old telephones exclusively...Probably a forum member that likes to make waves.

Usually the e-mail states " The US Postal Service has let us know that some of your recent shipping labels required a cost adjustment."

I was a mail man for a little while, and I can tell you with certainty, that nobody looks at the package weights and sizes...With the volume they have - they could care less...Just get it through, and get it delivered. It's a numbers game.

>:(

wds

I appealed 5 Cost Adjustments so far.  I won one so far, and was awarded a refund, but am having trouble getting the money.  Ebay says I have to collect the money from USPS, USPS says I have to collect the money from Ebay.  USPS said that this problem is a result of a change in Ebay rules, but it appears that USPS initiated the Cost Adjustment.  Apparently the two of them are fighting, and people like me are caught in the middle. 

To further clarify, I moved a couple months ago.  My new carrier is pretty worthless and has a terrible attitude.  Apparently he is not used to picking up Priority mail at the front door - he was overheard by a couple different people commenting that it is not his job to get out of his truck to pick up mail.  There are other problems he has caused also.  I have decided to file a complaint against him every time he fails to pick up my mail.  I wonder if he is the cause of the Cost Adjustments?

And, by the way, I am now taking pictures of every box that goes out that clearly shows the label and the box.  I never have problems with Fed Ex, always have problems with USPS.
Dave

Partyline4

Quote from: wds on September 01, 2018, 08:31:09 AM
I appealed 5 Cost Adjustments so far.  I won one so far, and was awarded a refund, but am having trouble getting the money.  Ebay says I have to collect the money from USPS, USPS says I have to collect the money from Ebay.  USPS said that this problem is a result of a change in Ebay rules, but it appears that USPS initiated the Cost Adjustment.  Apparently the two of them are fighting, and people like me are caught in the middle. 

To further clarify, I moved a couple months ago.  My new carrier is pretty worthless and has a terrible attitude.  Apparently he is not used to picking up Priority mail at the front door - he was overheard by a couple different people commenting that it is not his job to get out of his truck to pick up mail.  There are other problems he has caused also.  I have decided to file a complaint against him every time he fails to pick up my mail.  I wonder if he is the cause of the Cost Adjustments?

And, by the way, I am now taking pictures of every box that goes out that clearly shows the label and the box.  I never have problems with Fed Ex, always have problems with USPS.

Sounds like a CCA ( City Carrier Assistant ), or a rural assistant if you're a country boy.

They can get away with cutting corners for a little while because they are new(ish) - this is the position I also held.

I always thought it was a major PITA getting pickups, as I had several customers who always had a large stack of packages every-single-day.

That's why I always take my stuff to the PO myself. You print a label, slap it on, and drop it on the counter. That way you don't have to worry about it sitting there, possibly getting stolen, or not ever picked up.

Reporting him to the PO wont do a thing. It's such a mess at that place, you practically have to kill someone to get fired.

Oh well

wds

taking my boxes to the PO isn't an option - their hours are 8:30 to 4:30.  I"m at work before these guys are out of bed.  I would still like to know if its possible that the carrier is causing these problems with the postage.
Dave

Partyline4

Quote from: wds on September 01, 2018, 05:25:48 PM
taking my boxes to the PO isn't an option - their hours are 8:30 to 4:30.  I"m at work before these guys are out of bed.  I would still like to know if its possible that the carrier is causing these problems with the postage.

You need to use priority mail  or first class labels. You can still use the priority label on a *priority* branded box. You might be using the wrong flat rate label on the certain box. First class mail labels are only usable on non-priority mail branded boxes or envelopes, and must weigh 1lb or less. Media mail of course can be used for media material...

Some of the boxes are a certain size, so they require a certain label. It's always a flat rate per box. You could possibly be using a smaller price label, but using a bigger box.

I suggest you start finding your own boxes, and using Priority mail labels, or parcel select for heavier items.

I can guarantee you if you use your own boxes, and those simple labels, you will never have another issue.

wds

As I said at the beginning of the post, I only use priority mail boxes, and my labels are correct.  This is all USPS's errors.
Dave

wds

here's a new charge - a short paid fee?  Has anyone heard of this?  It's almost like USPS has it out for me.
Dave