News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is there an official method of getting the dial card in straight?

Started by MaximRecoil, September 14, 2018, 02:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

I'm talking about the newer clear plastic dials on Western Electrics (e.g., 500, 554). I see a lot of crooked dial cards in those phones. Did the Bell System installers just wing it? I was using the trial and error method which is frustrating and tedious, but today something occurred to me which should have been obvious all along. Just stick a piece of masking tape across the front of the dial before removing it. If your masking tape is straight you can then remove the dial and the masking tape works as a visual guide to make sure your dial card goes in straight the first time.

The official dial cards have the notch in the 3 o'clock position (it's pre-cut for the notch anyway, but usually not torn out), but it doesn't seem to align with anything like it did on the older metal dials.

Ktownphoneco

The Western & Northern clear plastic dials have a small triangular shaped protrusion sticking out from the side of the inner dial number card cavity.     The factory dial cards have a corresponding triangular marking, but not usually cut out, on the face of the card.    I guess the card can be pushed into position, but I normally take a sharp hobby knife or razor blade, and cut that tiny notch on the dial card first, then install it.     If the tiny protrusion on the inside of the finger wheel, and the small notch on the number card are in perfect alignment, then the card should be straight once the finger wheel is re-installed.
For type 2, 4, 5, and 6 dials, I usually cut the notch on the dial number card out first and slightly larger than needed, install the retainer acetate or plastic lense, then install the number card and place the number card assembly onto the finger with the rectangular installation holes on the finger wheel lined up with the two tabs on the number card retainer ring, and check to make the card is going to be straight once installed.    If not, re-align the card and check the alignment again until it's straight and install the card retainer ring assembly.

The process isn't an exact science, so there's a certain amount of hit and miss involved.

Jeff