News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Aqua W.E. Phone scrap.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 18, 2010, 04:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Does anyone have a small piece of Soft plastic from an Aqua W.E. phone. I want to repair a small crack in the handset and a burn mark on the shell. I only need about a postage sized piece. If someone has a broken shell, or old cracked handset cap, I would gladly give you a reasonable fee for it.
Thank In Advance.
It appears that someone was angry while calling and smacked the handset several times on the table, or phone ?

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dan, how big of a chunk do you want?  I've been saving this housing for a rainy day and it looks like that day has finally come.  It's dated from October of 1958 so it's soft plastic.

McHeath

Wow, what a weird setup Dennis.  Do you know what the purpose of the add on parts was?

JorgeAmely

McH:

I am no expert on phone wiring, but judging by the switches and light bulbs, I am sure ET used it to call home many decades ago.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

That's about right....E.T., Phone Home.

No, I have no idea what the use was for this phone.  I bought it off eBay a while ago for the parts.  The only thing left of it is this housing that I've been housing for a long time. :)

Dan/Panther

Dennis that shell is made 1 day before my ninth birthday. A pieces as big as you can spare maybe 1 square inch, and it can be pieces it doesn't have to be one large piece.
D/P

Dennis Markham

I will break off a big chunk and send it your way.  I guess I don't have to pack it in bubble wrap.  :)

JorgeAmely

D/P:

I am curious to see how a chuck of a phone can be used to fix another. Can you post some pictures of your repair job?

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
I've started the process but didn't have enough donor material to make the patch smooth.

The only before shot I have is of the ebay photo, I've pointed out the area. #1 is the spots where the handset was banged, #2 is the crack. The second shot is after the process is about 1/2 finished. I ran out of plastic.

I use lacquer thinner Q-Tips.
I chop up the donor plastic into small pieces, or if I have a large enough piece I use a razor blade to scrap off plastic, this is the best.
Then I dip the Q-Tip into the lacquer thinner and brush it around the spot to be repaired, when the spot softens, I drop some donor shavings or a small chunk onto the area. I then dip the Q-Tip some more and just keep working it around. the lacquer thinner melts both the part and the donor into a puddle. then I let it dry, (which doesn't take very long, sand it down with a sanding block, and repeat as many times as it takes.
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:

In a pinch, you could use some of the ribs from the housing.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
Yes I considered that but thought better of it. Even taking a razor blade to the bottom of the shell or inside someplace would work.
Hard plastic, and soft are not compatible just in case anyone wonders.
The color match is perfect, ans if the area is is sanded and polished properly, it will be undetectable.
Too bad it cant be done on larger areas.
It works great for cracks also.
I did a beige soft shell with a corner crack. Separate the crack, and clean it very well. Open the crack and run a Q-tip soaked in Lacquer thinner at the crack, try to get as much thinner into the crack as possible. Quickly squeeze the crack together and hold. The thinner softens the plastic, and it blends the two sides. you can sand and polish the crack, and it is impossible to detect if the crack was cleaned properly and dirt in the crack will show.

D/P