WE 151 Candlestick Questions

Started by Sargeguy, September 27, 2010, 08:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have finally accumulated enough parts to cobble together a candlestick
-151 base (brassed out)
-706A reciever
-635A Bulldog transmitter
-4H dial converted from a #2 (writing on the side, filled in holes where outside fingerstop once was)
-634A subset

Questions-
The 635A housing is from a wall phone and is made of steel.  Did they come in brass?
Were these issued with a #2 dial or a #4 or both?
Was the 59-B gasket used behind the dial?

I'm sure more questions will be forthcoming
Thanks

Greg
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

The 635 was almost always steel, but some have been found made of copper.  The copper wasn't exposed though--it was always painted black.  I have no idea why such an expensive metal would be used for a subset case, but they're interesting.

Most of them would have originally been issued with a #2 dial, but of course, those could have been replaced with newer dials if something went wrong with the original dial.  Also, refurbished sets placed in service later on would have come with whatever the current dial happened to be.  I don't think I've ever seen a dial gasket on one.  

Incidentally, if you really want the original look, you can purchase reproduction #2 fingerstops and screws, which would let you take a #4 dial back to a #2 configuration.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Thanks

By 635A I was referring to the "bulldog" transmitter housing, not the sub-set ::)

It looks like it was pulled off a wall phone judging from the bracket.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenny C

thats it after i get my other treasures next week(and i do mean treasures) i am going to get me a 151  ;D ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

Kenny you are hooked big time. I saw a 151 with a #2 DIAL  and original subset at the antique show for $245, but it was a little high for my blood.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kenny C

Well its more than i would have wanted to pay. What do you guys think it would cost me for just the phone?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

Dial candlesticks tend to go for a lot, with or without subsets.  Manual sets are more affordable, but not nearly as functional (which is why the dial versions go so high).  At any rate, dial sets without subsets tend to go for $150 to $250 on ebay.  If you keep searching, you may find one for a little less, though

But you can also collect the parts individually over time, like Sargeguy did, and that may save you a little more money.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Let me clarify:

I have a 635A "Bulldog" transmitter that came off of a wall phone.  The housing/cup is steel/zinc.  Are they all made of steel or were the one's on the 151s brass like the rest of the phone?

Thanks
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

I'm not sure, Sarge.  It makes sense that steel wall phones would have had steel transmitter cups, while brass desk stands would have had brass transmitter cups.  But I haven't seen nearly enough of these to know.
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

cant you by those conversion bases from OPW to make a dial candle stick? i think they are like 40.00
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Sargeguy

Thanks.  Here are some "before" photos:

Notice how the "1" has been added to the existing "51".

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

This candlestick just sold for $137, which is about what I paid for all my parts without the dial.  That is an older receiver however.

http://tinyurl.com/22v3r9n
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I was having trouble figuring out the wiring scheme, so I picked up this phone on eBay to uses as a guide.   ;D

The phone is complete and pretty much un-monkeyed with.  I did replace the older receiver with the 706A I had on hand.   

The dial is a #4H converted from a #2. 

The wiring is in nice shape but is just strarting toi show signs of drying out, so I will use a replacement mounting cord.

The base is a little rough and will need to be recovered.

This is a pretty straightforward cleaning job with some simple rewiring, so I hope to have it up and running soon.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is a picture of it in the niche in my hallway.  The B-1 has been evicted!!!

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

That candlestick niche is made just for the candlestick, so I would say that is a much improved installation.  Did your re-wire work?
-Bill G