"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lightweight Handset, F1 Type

Started by dencins, October 14, 2010, 08:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

I asked this on another forum but thought I would ask the same question here:

Has anyone come across a "Lightweight Handset, F1 Type" in black that is made from thermoplastic material rather than phenol?  I read about it in this document.  I do not recall ever seeing one of these..

SECTION C32.203
ISSUE 7, OCT., 1954

HANDSETS DESCRIPTION

>>>>>(snip)<<<<<

2.02 Lightweight Handsets, F1 Type: This thermoplastic handset may be distinguished from the regular (phenol-plastic) handset by its lighter weight, hollow handle, and an embossed dot following the code number on the handle. A lightweight handset may not be used to replace a regular handset. Its lighter weight will not reliably operate a line switch (switch-hook) designed for the regular handset. The transmitter and receiver caps of lightweight handsets are not interchangeable with regular caps because the threads are different. Regular caps have a number molded in the center of the undersurface of the grid: lightweight caps do not have such a number
>>>>>(snip)<<<<<

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dencins on October 14, 2010, 08:12:28 PM
I asked this on another forum but thought I would ask the same question here:

Has anyone come across a "Lightweight Handset, F1 Type" in black that is made from thermoplastic material rather than phenol?  I read about it in this document.  I do not recall ever seeing one of these..

SECTION C32.203
ISSUE 7, OCT., 1954

HANDSETS DESCRIPTION

>>>>>(snip)<<<<<

2.02 Lightweight Handsets, F1 Type: This thermoplastic handset may be distinguished from the regular (phenol-plastic) handset by its lighter weight, hollow handle, and an embossed dot following the code number on the handle. A lightweight handset may not be used to replace a regular handset. Its lighter weight will not reliably operate a line switch (switch-hook) designed for the regular handset. The transmitter and receiver caps of lightweight handsets are not interchangeable with regular caps because the threads are different. Regular caps have a number molded in the center of the undersurface of the grid: lightweight caps do not have such a number
>>>>>(snip)<<<<<

I think D/P may of brought up this subject before.

I have come across some of the caps. I had heard that there were different thread patterns. No one seemed to know why. The caps are probably still around.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rdelius

I had one. It was the same as the ones on the colored 302 sets except molded in black. the caps would not interchange with bakelite ones. Do not confuse the plastic replacement fi caps with these. they are different.
No side groves on the caps or handle on the lightweight plastic one.
Robby

dencins

[/quote]

I think D/P may of brought up this subject before.

I have come across some of the caps. I had heard that there were different thread patterns. No one seemed to know why. The caps are probably still around.

Jim
[/quote]
I believe D/P was asking about the differences in the G type handset and the different threads on the caps.  I have seen thermoset and thermoplastic G type handsets.  The thermoplastic caps are very difficult to remove from the thermoset handles. 

The Lightweight Hanset F1 Type would be like the one on a colored 302 but in black.

Dennis

Jim Stettler

Thank you Dennis,

I haven't seen the handle, I probably still have the caps,

I am almost certain they are somewhere on my property. ;D
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

K1WI

Hi ,
            New on the forum but might be able to help with info on the lightweight F1 handsets.  Don't have one but I do remember seeing them in Western Elrctric central offices. They were the same as the colored caitlin plastic F1's but made with a very shiney black plastic. They were mounted on the master test frame of early crossbar 5 (Flat spring markers XB5) Later CO's had F2 handsets .
        Western electric made many variations of common equipment , sometimes to use up existing stock or as trials of new designs.  I have a 1937 H1 mounting (302) with small plungers , a 5JB (?) dial  marked *37 with celluloid plate and a very unusual F1 ungrooved handset that has a hollow core like later F1s and a transmitter capsule unit with F1 crossed out and F2   stenciled in identical print.   This phone was on the "wire chiefs"  (foreman) desk  in a step by step central office.
       I'll will see if I can find any BSP's or CD/SDs that fill in the blanks.

Again thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.       

Doug Rose

My answer from the TCI List

Dennis....I have a few of these. You notice the difference in the weight before you notice that difference in the way they look. They are pretty much the same as the color 302 handsets, although they are seamed. The caps are NOT interchangeable with the bakelite handsets. I had on recently I sold one ebay and only got $10 for it, so there was not a lot of interest in it....good luck....Doug

Kidphone

rdelius

Found mine, no date on it.
Robby