"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E1 Pricing

Started by marty, February 10, 2011, 11:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty

Hi All;
What is a good (fair) price for an E1 Handset ??? And does anyone have an extra on for sale... I would like to get one to have for My D1, so IF I ever have to Sell it I would have an E1 to go with it.. But, for my own use I would Keep the F1 it has at the present...
THANK YOU Marty

Doug Rose

Quote from: marty on February 10, 2011, 11:52:09 AM
Hi All;
What is a good (fair) price for an E1 Handset ??? And does anyone have an extra on for sale... I would like to get one to have for My D1, so IF I ever have to Sell it I would have an E1 to go with it.. But, for my own use I would Keep the F1 it has at the present...
THANK YOU Marty
Marty....I usually sell a working grooved E1 with good shiny bakelite with no chips cracks or missing pieces for a minimum $50 on eBay. Good cloth cord, more....Doug
Kidphone

rp2813

Marty, if you are wanting to keep the F1 handset in use because of its superior transmission quality but like the look of the E1, you can get adapters that will allow you to use an F1 transmitter capsule in an E1 handset and still retain the "spit cup" mouthpiece.  That's what I did with my E1 and I'm very happy with it.

It could turn out that the E1 you end up with already has had that modification made to it, and I'd recommend going after that type rather than one with the older "bullet" transmitter, which is inferior and generally provides unacceptable transmission quality.
Ralph

Dennis Markham

Marty, our friend Steve Hilsz has E1 parts available for sale.  You can build your own.  It does looks like he's out of some transmitter and receiver elements however.  Take a look here:

http://phonesurplus.com/e1parts.html

You could e-mail him and tell him you're looking for a complete handset.  He may be able to help you out.  His prices are reasonable.   It's worth the time to investigate.

Jim Stettler

Marty,

Since you are wanting an E handset for "future" purposes, and you aren't in a hurry for the handset.
I would  put it on your want list and keep an eye out for a good-to-excellent handset for a fair-to-low-price.

Fair price  is probably around $60 delivered.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

I bought one off eBAy last week for $24.99.  I found one for $14.99 a while back.  It may be cheaper to buy a whole D-1 with an E-1 handset on it.  You can pick them up for $50 if you work at it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

marty

Hi All;
I have Bought an E1 Handset from Ebay.. Jim S. gave me the link.. I was the Only Bid.. It cost was $14.99 plus $10.00 shipping.. I told Him about Packing it carefully or it could break... We'll See what I get, and what it contains on the inside...
THANK YOU Marty

LarryInMichigan

Marty,

I hope that you get a good done.  That was a great price.  Once it arrives though, you may be in for a bit of an adventure if you have not dealt with one before.  Unscrewing all of the various parts from each other (and without breaking any) can be quite a challenge.  Eighty or more years of dirt and oxidation is really good for bonding bakelite to aluminum :)

Larry

marty

Hi All;
Yes, I read other postings about trying or attempting to get Handsets apart... And I won't know what is on the inside, untill it arrives... Pictures at 6PM after it arrives...
THANK YOU Marty

Sargeguy

Invest in a couple of strap wrenches.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

Marty,

If you can't get it to open , I  can bring a set of E handset  tools with me when I come up.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

QuoteE-1s are worth less with D-1s attached

Exhibit A:

eBay Item number: 320653801195
Manual D-1 with seamless E-1 handset

Sold for $53.51 + $8.94 Economy Shipping
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Exhibit B:

eBay Auction 220735855016

Seamless E-1 handset on a slightly better than average D-1 with original cords, bullet transmitter.
$50+$14.95 shipping

Should I ask the seller to keep the D-1 base to save on shipping???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Vern P

One thing that I have seen over looked hear is.  The E1 is bakelite with alum. (?) parts.   I have had many of these over the years, and found that the caps will sease to the alum. part, and will not break lose.  The spit cup is the worst, then the rec. cap.

I have not found or heard of a way to break them lose when this happens.  I also have seen many chips or brake outs, were the "pin" on the wrench has slipped out, and still not got the cap off. 

If any one has found a way around this, I would like to know, as would many others.

Vern P

LarryInMichigan

I think that the method for removing stuck parts which has been discussed here before is heating them with a hair dryer and then using a strap wrench.  i have done that at least a few times. 

Larry