News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Phone Calls from the Dead"

Started by paul-f, April 02, 2011, 08:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Just looking the 2 pictures and we can see that the fingerwheel is not the same or she has been changed... brrrrrr I'm affraid...... naaaaaaaaaaaaaa i'm not affraid 'cause I don,t beleive to such nonsense. ( poppycock ). :D

Sargeguy

Are we sure it's even a Northern Electric and not a Swiss-made Stromurg-Carlsen?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 09, 2014, 11:50:09 AM
Are we sure it's even a Northern Electric and not a Swiss-made Stromurg-Carlsen?

When I came across the new listing this morning, I sent an eBay message to the seller asking him what it says by the hand hold. Haven't heard back from him yet. Will report what he tells me.

AE_Collector

not a Swiss-made Stromurg-Carlsen?

That sounds more like a Chinese made fake phone than Swiss made. Stromurg-Carlsen phone or a Roolex Watch!

Terry

Sargeguy

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 09, 2014, 01:28:37 PM
That sounds more like a Chinese made fake phone than Swiss made. Stromurg-Carlsen phone or a Roolex Watch!

Terry

No no no....It's made in USA by Swiss immigrants from Sweden:

VINTAGE RETRO ORANGE SWISS MADE STROMBERG CARLSON ROTARY DIAL DESK PHONE WORKS

WE ARE OFFERING A VINTAGE RETRO BRIGHT ORANGE SWISS MADE STROMBERG CARLSON ROTARY DESK PHONE

MODEL 500 D

CA - 1960'S

GORGEOUS BRILLIANT RETRO ORANGE WITH WHITE DIAL NUMBERS.

THE HAND HELD RECEIVER MARKED:

STROMBERG CARLSON

SC G3

MADE IN U.S.A.

SWISS STROMBERG CARLSON WORKS

PHONE IS MADE IN U.S.A.

TESTED AND READY FOR USE.

DIALS OUT, AND RECEIVES CALLS, IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER.

BRASS BELLS HAVE A CRISP CLEAR RESONATE SOUND.   A RING ADJUSTMENT DIAL ON THE BASE ADJUSTS, FROM OFF - LOUD. 

READY TO PLUG IN TO YOUR HOME OUTLET.  IT HAS A STANDARD RECEPTACLE NEW CORD PLUG IN.

MEASURES:  5" TALL X 8 1/4"  WIDE WITH RECEIVER IN PLACE  X 9" DEEP .

QUALITY HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION:

WEIGHS 3.7 LBS.

THIS PHONE CAME FROM A COLLECTION OF ONE OF THE FIRST TELEPHONE REPAIR MEN IN THE WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA AREA. WE HAVE MANY OTHER PHONES FROM THIS COLLECTION, ON AUCTION OR IN OUR EBAY STORE "UTIQUES ANTIQUES".

CONDITION:  EXCELLENT TO VERY GOOD VINTAGE CONDITION.  CLEAN AND WELL MAINTAINED UNIT.    ONE TINY FLEA BITE CHIP ON THE LEFT BETWEEN THE 6 & 7 ON THE OUTER EDGE.  THE NUMBER DIAL SHOWS SOME FADING ON THE LEFT LOWER SIDE.  NO CRACKS, SOME VERY MINOR SCRATCHES AND RUBS ONLY VISIBLE WITH CLOSE INSPECTION,  PRESENTED IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER AND READY FOR USE.

QUALITY SWISS MADE

STROMBERG CARLSON.  MARKED ON THE CASE AND HANDSET

FOUNDED BY SWEDISH NATIVES ALFRED STROMBERG AND ANDROV CARLSON IN 1894, THE YEAR ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL'S PATENT EXPIRED, THE COMPANY WAS ONE OF THE LARGEST SUPPLIERS TO INDEPENDENT (NON-BELL) TELEPHONE COMPANIES. IN THE MID-1900S, STROMBERG EXPANDED TO ALSO MANUFACTURE RADIOS AND TVS BEFORE ITS ACQUISITION BY GENERAL DYNAMICS IN 1955.

GORGEOUS BRILLIANT RETRO ORANGE STROMBERG CARLSON OLD CLASSIC DESK PHONE.

A FAVORITE OF BACK IN THE DAY AND BECOMING VERY STYLISH AND POPULAR IN TODAY'S HOMES.

PICTURES ARE PART OF THE DESCRIPTION
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The Swiss/Swedish angle is certainly more plausible than the Canadian one: Geneva Switzerland is the repository for all that Nazi Gold and headquarters of the Bilderberg Group, Sweden is home to the Nobel Prize Committee...CONNECT THE DOTS MAN!!! 8)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Finally got a reply (had to ask 3 times) from the seller as to what it says under the cradle.

It's not the cursed phone, he replied saying that "It says ITT below the cradle, Hope this helps."

DavePEI

Back in the days of yore, people often feared premature burial following poor death proclamations. Often caskets were found gouged by their occupant attempting to scratch their way out of the casket. A number of gadgets were tried over the years, including, but not limited to cords run from the coffin to the ground and tied to a bell to alert people if such a burial had occurred. (look up "safety coffin" on Google).

J. W. Hollingsworth was the president of the "East Tickle and Molly's Stay Telephone Company" in Newfoundland. He, too ascribed to this fear.

After a short illness in 1921, he passed away, a relatively young man.

According to his will, he was to be buried in the family crypt, along with a telephone connecting the crypt to his house. All went as expected for the next 20 years, and the line remained silent.

Shortly after the outbreak of WWII, a terrific storm hit the area, and during that storm, a huge old oak situated next to the crypt was struck by a bolt of lightening, lighting up much of the eastern part of town.

That night, the telephone in his widow Aggie's house rang for the first time since the burial. She picked up the phone, listened for a second according to her daughter, then fell over stone dead, the victim of cardiac arrest.

There was much talk in the town blaming the phone's ring on the lightening, and this persisted until the crypt was opened to bury Aggie along-side her deceased husband. There, on the slab, his body was found, arms reaching out for her, and the phone's handset still clutched in the bones of his right hand.......
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: Snake on May 17, 2012, 01:22:27 AM
Remember the Twilight Zone where suddenly after a wind storm a widow started receiving phone calls from her late husband?  The phone line went down in the cemetary from the wind storm and was draped across the late husband's grave.

Got hungry for a bedtime snack and while heading into the kitchen, turned on the TV. The oldies channel was on and it was time for the nightly Twilight Zone episode. When I heard an old phone ring, I sat down to watch.

It's on Netflix, Season 5, Episode 19 titled "Night Call" in which "Elva Keene, confined to her bed and wheelchair, is driven to distraction by mysterious telephone calls on a dead line." Another Serling great. It first aired on February 7, 1964. So what's up with the E1/D1? I'm not going to disclose the plot but these pictures are a great hint.

I've seen it before, seen it since then and saw it tonight. Serling gives me the chills even knowing the story. Snake in the quote was about right but not quite. It wasn't her husband.

TelePlay

With less than 2 weeks to go before Halloween 2014, seems it's time to renew this topic, and this post, with it's attached pdf being the story of a phone that has caused me to be ever vigilant in watching for it to resurface on eBay, or to find out where it went, or what happened, or what happened to the latest owner, if it existed, or the story was true, in the first place . . . ( scary background music heard here )

I was surprised to find this book from 1979 is still available on Amazon, and for big bucks -- a real page turner as one reviewer stated.

Owain

I thought the thread was going to be about this story, although it predates it:

South Shields woman's 'text from the grave' shock

Sheri Emerson said the message made her feel sick

A woman was horrified to receive a text message from her grandmother's phone number - three years after her death.

When Lesley Emerson died in 2011 some of her favourite things were buried with her, including her mobile phone.

Sheri Emerson, of South Shields, said she found comfort in texting her but was stunned to get a reply, saying: "I'm watching over you."

It emerged her grandmother's number had been given to another user who replied, thinking friends were playing pranks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-29649603

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2795280/i-m-watching-family-s-shock-receiving-text-messages-mobile-buried-late-grandmother-02-gave-number-new-customer.html

I don't want to be unkind to the bereaved and distressed, but ...

twocvbloke

Quote from: Owain on October 18, 2014, 03:45:27 PMI don't want to be unkind to the bereaved and distressed, but ...

... something to do with her hair colour?

It is standard practice to recycle mobile and landline numbers these days, especially notable since a lot of them are on spam lists and on debt collections lines, but, to think that a text message is going to a phone that was buried three years previously, and to believe that they got a response after the standard recycling period, yeah, not particularly smart on both counts... ::)

TelePlay

This phone just sold on eBay for $60 plus $14 shipping. But, it's not THE phone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bright-Orange-Mod-Era-1970s-Desk-Top-Rotary-Telephone-/400787490501

The seller did not state the manufacturer and the emblem under the handset is almost unreadable. However, it just hit me that the "666" phone does not have "operator" under the "0" on the number plate (the bottom photo) and this auction phone does (the top photo).

So, close, but not THE phone . . .    Oh, well, will keep looking . . .

TelePlay

Could this be the "phone" from the eBay listing years ago back on the market?

Close, but I'd say no. Maybe someone wants to take a chance and buy it to see what's really in it . . .  ???

Just listed in a 7 Day auction starting at $25 plus shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161502225595  "168-70 PAT ORANGE NORTHERN TELECOM ROTARY DIAL TELEPHONE"

The first photo below is the current eBay listing, which ships from Canada.

The eBay listing "haunted" phone is the second photo, the one with the burn marks around it.

TelePlay

Time of the year to once again revive this topic for those new to the forum and don't know the story of the Possessed 500" and this year adding a personal suggestion to a spine chilling ghost story written by Susan Hill - "A Woman in Black" for anyone looking for something scary to read this evening. ( the original book, not the movie which was awful )

It's the story of Arthur Kipps, is an up-and-coming London solicitor, who is sent to Crythin Gifford - a faraway town in the windswept salt marshes beyond Nine Lives Causeway - to attend the funeral and settle the affairs of a client, Mrs. Alice Drablow of Eel Marsh House, a place where there are no telephones . . .

( it's 174 pages which if read in the dim light of a single candle in the dark of night will entertain in a ghostly way )

And for those new to the forum, or may have forgotten about this topic, the dreaded "Possessed Orange 500" pdf is attached.