News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm bored. Look at this dial plate.

Started by deedubya3800, May 30, 2011, 10:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

It's genuine Western Electric, but from the wrong decade. Looks weird here.

LarryInMichigan

I don't recall ever seeing one like that.  Al of mine have red numbers below the letters.

Larry

deedubya3800

This one is out of an 8HA dial, dated 11-81.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: deedubya3800 on May 30, 2011, 11:17:08 PM
Cool is as cool is. I deem this cool.
JMO,
Jim S
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

deedubya3800

Quote from: Jim S. on May 31, 2011, 01:02:40 AM
Quote from: deedubya3800 on May 30, 2011, 11:17:08 PM
Cool is as cool is. I deem this cool.
JMO,
Jim S
Why thank ya.

I'm just sitting here playing with some telephone parts because what I really want to do I can't do because my cordless drill is charging. I'm looking at a dial, a hook switch, and an F1 handset and imagining what I could do with some three-eights-inch plywood, some glue, some screws, a short piece of pipe and a dowel rod, an angle grinder, and some black paint.

Kenny C

QuoteI'm just sitting here playing with some telephone parts because what I really want to do I can't do because my cordless drill is charging. I'm looking at a dial, a hook switch, and an F1 handset and imagining what I could do with some three-eights-inch plywood, some glue, some screws, a short piece of pipe and a dowel rod, an angle grinder, and some black paint.

Some one wants to be arrested by the phone police by the sounds of it haha ;) ;D
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

deedubya3800

Quote from: Kenny C on May 31, 2011, 01:20:30 AMSome one wants to be arrested by the phone police by the sounds of it haha ;) ;D
No, no, none of that! The only way I could get into any trouble with them is if I try to pass off the result of my fun as some kind of genuine prototype for something. I just want to build a working desk set out of parts that were never originally intended to go together. A true Frankenphone, if you will.

dsk

Not a bad idea.
I have no pictures, or the phone i made at age of 13.

A plastic cabinet, 1/2 plastic tube as the cradle. a nail through  the cradle down to a micro-switch in the cabinet.
An old handset (English) with press while speaking lever, some rubber cord , an old dial (Norwegian), an induction coil, (German) a buzzer (Swedish) some random wires, capacitor etc. All sprayed with black paint.

Living in a flat with an unsecured termination for about 15 apartments, it gave room for some fun   :D

Ringing from one neighbour to another, the first thought the tinkling was some kind of ringing, both answered, and i just listened. Extremely funny at 13.

Later the same year climbing up and connecting to a telephone line in the woods, and yes it was working.

Of course i understood this was wrong, and did not use it anymore.

Today I may look back, and I just hope, and believe my son not doing things like that. But I couldn't be really angry if he did. 

dsk

deedubya3800

Haha! That sounds great! But no, I'm not up to any of that funny business.

But I'm also going to need some putty and my Dremel.