News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is your preference: E1 or F1 handset?

Started by deedubya3800, July 16, 2011, 09:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

TL;DR Warning: This post is another one of my pointless ramblings. ;D

We've had the whole F vs. G discussion for the 5302; now I want to talk about which handset y'all prefer for the D-mount. I just did a survey of current offerings on eBay, and out of 28 D-mounts I found for sale, 13 have E-type handsets and 15 have F-types. I also found 4 B-mounts, all of which have E-types. That's about what I was expecting to find.

From a styling point of view, I can't help drawing a hard line between the E-type for the ABCDE-mounts and the F-type for the H-mount. To me, the F-type handset just isn't fancy enough for the D-mount's styling, and early 302s with the E-type handset just look weird, though I understand their value. The E1 has a very antique-like shape to it and look very much like they could have been carved from solid oak. The F1 looks very fitting on a 302, but looks rather banana-shaped when placed on a D-mount. It's almost like wearing a black cowboy hat with a tuxedo.

When it comes to ergonomics, however, the F-type is the clear winner. The handle is somewhat easier to grip in the hand, and the receiver cap gives more cushion to the ear than either the E- or G-types. Neither type, however, shoulders well given their handle shape and the awkward intrusion of the E-type's spitcup into the chin.

HarrySmith

I agree 100%.  I prefer the E on B & D mounts and the F on 302's and 5302's. The F is a definite winner for daily use.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rp2813

I pretty much entirely agree with the statements made in the initial post, particularly with regard to E1's looking ridiculous on an H-mount set as they create a serious clash of styles.  Clunky doesn't even begin to describe it.  It's interesting that the elegance of the E1 is transformed into just plain ugliness on an H-mount base.  Far worse than an F1 on a 5302, another non-forward compatible mix of styles that just doesn't work.

From the standpoint of looks, The F1 is in my opinion more backward-compatible on a D mount but the E1 is absolutely not forward-compatible on the H.

Ergonomically the F1 wins, as it has better weight distribution and is nicely balanced compared to the E1.  When used for a long conversation, I find fatigue setting in after a while from holding the bottom-heavy E1.  Regardless, I prefer my phones to have the original type of handset that was designed for them, so my D-mount stand has an E1 resting on it, and fatiguing or not, I really enjoy using it.
Ralph