"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

BDL's First Restoration Project WE D1 w/E1

Started by bigdaddylove, August 23, 2011, 03:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddylove

It came yesterday.

As for the paint, the top coat is a god awful yellow latex followed by two different colors of blue followed by a layer of gold metallic. The original finish seems to be intact and in decent condition. The weight from the 4 or so layers of paint probably added at least another $3.00 to the shipping cost!

This phone seems to have been refurbed and mickey moused its whole life. Poor thing. Hopefully, I'll be able to restore it to its former glory.

How may coats of Citirstrip does it take to get to the basecoat of a D1? The world may never know.

Doug Rose

what is the date on your 5H dial ?/37, This is one of the very first 5H dials that were on the early 37 302s. Very nice dial. Paint does protect the original finish....Doug
Kidphone

Bill

Except for the corrosion at the cord restraints (easily cleaned), the inside looks nice and clean. That will be important. Good luck.

Bill

LarryInMichigan

Why didn't they paint the back of the dial also :D?

Wallphone

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 23, 2011, 05:41:44 PM
Why didn't they paint the back of the dial also :D?
Because they couldn't get the roller in there.
Doug Pav

old_stuff_hound

Surely it would have been easier to just submerge it in paint? ;-)

bigdaddylove

That's enough for one day. I just could not look at that horrible color any longer. You can still see the yellow in the spit cup. Until I get it apart, it'll have to stay.

I was hoping that the original finish would be good enough to leave, but it's kind of thrashed and starting to flake off.

bigdaddylove

Well, despite the subset being wired all hoopty, I put it all back together and it worked well. Receives and transmits much better than I thought.

I didn't notice any more sidetone than my other phones.

bigdaddylove

I've been doing research on how to repaint this baby and it looks like I have 6 options:

1. Re-japanning the finish. There are a number of old tool websites out there with recipes and decent results. However, the finish on an old plane is different than a D1. Seems to be a wee-bit troublesome but very interesting none-the-less.

2. Use Brownell's baking lacquer. I found a thread in a gun forum where a gunsmith said this product was very similar to japanning.

3. Dupli-Color Engine Enamel DUPDE1635 Ford Semi Gloss Black. Again, this has been recommended in various old tool forums for a substitute to japanning.

4. Sherwin-Williams “High Heat Black” spray paint #1614.  Again, this has been recommended in various old tool forums for a substitute to japanning.

5. Buy Pontypool Black Japanning paint from Liberty on the Hudson. At $38.00 a quart, it is probably the most expensive option.

6. Buy a base in excellent original condition. Kind of a cop out for the restoration route, but then again, I'll have an original finish. I don't really get hung up on matching numbers. Don't get me wrong, I get a special warm fuzzy feeling when I see a phone with matching numbers (like my 302), but it's not essential.

Whatcha all think?

old_phone_man

I have used the Dupli-Color Engine Enamel in the Ford Semi Gloss Black with reasonable enough results but you really need to make sure you clean the part of all grease (I used Acetone).  It takes some patience as well as a windless, dustless environment.  I did mine in my garage (It has been several years ago).  I attached a photo of the phone.

However I'm intrigued about the Brownells Baking Lacquer.  I had never heard of this and I think I'm going to give it a try on a 302 project phone I have.

bigdaddylove

Quote from: old_phone_man on August 28, 2011, 02:13:44 PM
However I'm intrigued about the Brownells Baking Lacquer.  I had never heard of this and I think I'm going to give it a try on a 302 project phone I have.

Me too, I am going to try and find more info. I'll post what I find.

TelePlay

Quote from: bigdaddylove on August 28, 2011, 02:29:15 PM
However I'm intrigued about the Brownells Baking Lacquer.  I had never heard of this and I think I'm going to give it a try on a 302 project phone I have.

Some of the sites I've read dealing with coating firearms suggests Parkerizing the clean, degreased metal before applying any of several baked finishes. Seems to be a "primer" to use as is or hold any of the several hard finishes.

Bill

QuoteI have used the Dupli-Color Engine Enamel in the Ford Semi Gloss Black with reasonable enough results but you really need to make sure you clean the part of all grease (I used Acetone).  It takes some patience as well as a windless, dustless environment.  I did mine in my garage (It has been several years ago).  I attached a photo of the phone.
Aww, c'mon. Semi-gloss engine enamel produced the beautiful deep gloss on the photo? Surely there is more to it than that! 'Fess up, guy! How did you do it?

Bill

Wallphone

I always thought that D1's were painted and not Japanned, and that it was candlestick phones that were Japanned. Brownell's Baking Lacquer is interesting and I did a search on it. All results pertained to firearms and one person said that it was easy but does not take the place of a Professional finish. One thing leads to another when searching so there are a few other alternatives out there. But they all seem to be more along the line of anodizing rather than painting, so I wouldn't expect a deep & shiny looking finish.
Doug Pav

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: Bill on August 28, 2011, 06:01:58 PM
QuoteI have used the Dupli-Color Engine Enamel in the Ford Semi Gloss Black with reasonable enough results but you really need to make sure you clean the part of all grease (I used Acetone).  It takes some patience as well as a windless, dustless environment.  I did mine in my garage (It has been several years ago).  I attached a photo of the phone.
Aww, c'mon. Semi-gloss engine enamel produced the beautiful deep gloss on the photo? Surely there is more to it than that! 'Fess up, guy! How did you do it?

Bill

My first thought as well -- "That's semi-gloss?!?!?"