News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just curious about telephone feet.

Started by Dan/Panther, March 06, 2012, 02:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

A good portion of vintage 500 style phones have very rusted feet. My question is this.
Are the feet overly prone to rust, or have a majority of vintage phones had a liquid puddle near them at one time or another. Just wondering.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

I think that this issue was mentioned a while back.  I believe that it was stated that the neoprene of the feet release a gas which corroded the steel in the area.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Larry;
Now that you mention it, I do recall that.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LM Ericsson

I have a white '68 500 that does not have a touch of rust on or around the feet.
Regards,
-Grayson

AE_Collector

I too think we've talked about it here before and determined it to be related to the material used for the feet. For what it is worth, the early AE 80's have the same problem and they had the big block of rubber for feet.

Terry

HowardPgh

Howard

rp2813

At some point they fixed the problem.  I have a 5/56 500 that got modularized in 1977, at which time it got fitted with four new round neoprene feet (along with a new case, a G3, and a clear finger wheel).  The centers are bright and shiny without a trace of rust.  I have de-modularized the phone with parts from others and am currently using it on my desk in the garage shop, but it will never have suede feet again.  At least the ones it has aren't the rusty type.

I've also seen quite a few phones lately that have two types of feet.  They are usually late 50's/early 60's with original three-sided neoprene feet on one end and later round neoprene feet on the other.  How could only two of the feet wear out? More and more I'm thinking local practices varied throughout the Bell System, and management at some of the refurbishing facilities was more focused on the bottom line than at others.
Ralph

twocvbloke

My WE500DM has triangular feet up front and round feet at the back too, I just thought that was down to the rear ones being worn out, the front ones are coming apart as it is, so, that's what I put it down to... :-\

But the rear ones are rusty, and thus not easy to remove without the use of force, so I'm just leaving them as is... :)

oldphon

I believe the feet only leached the corrosive substance if exposed to any moisture.

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001