News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Do's and Don'ts of Car Phones (pictorial humor)

Started by HobieSport, February 22, 2009, 04:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

It's true.  I find myself that when I use the phone while driving, whether it's looking in the address book or just talking the mind is out the window and not concentrating on driving (as much).  I guess on a long trip on an freeway that is not congested may be different.  But in City traffic it requires a little more concentration.  With inexperienced drivers it's worse.  And then there's texting......

BDM

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 24, 2009, 10:57:43 PM
It's true.  I find myself that when I use the phone while driving, whether it's looking in the address book or just talking the mind is out the window and not concentrating on driving (as much).  I guess on a long trip on an freeway that is not congested may be different.  But in City traffic it requires a little more concentration.  With inexperienced drivers it's worse.  And then there's texting......

Very true. I notice that. During rush hour or heavy traffic I won't answer should anyone call. When I do use the phone, it's short & quick or I'm calling for directions. I have Nextel which is handy and easier. Like a two way radio, it allows you to concentrate until you're ready to speak again.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

Dennis,
Great story on that one.

I admit to having used mine while driving before, however it's something that I generally try to avoid.

My cell phone normally stays in my left pocket, and if it rings while I'm driving, it's a pretty dangerous operation to try and extract it. So, generally I won't-if I do, it waits until a stoplight so that I can at least look at who called.

Mythbusters determined a while back that drivers on the cell phone generally drive more dangerously than drunk drivers-that says enough to me in and of itself.

In any case, I don't see how people can possibly text and drive at the same time. I don't text myself, but it's enough trouble to type something out when that's the only thing on your mind.