News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just a question about the value of a WE 464 Key Set

Started by LM Ericsson, March 23, 2013, 05:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM Ericsson

I saw a Western Electric 464 multi-line at an antique store today for $45. How much can these be worth?
Regards,
-Grayson

Sargeguy

About $45 on the low end.  If it's not a beater than it"s a good deal.  A lot of the value for these is in the parts.  Replacement parts can be hard to find, since they all tend to be missing the same pieces.  Does it have the original cord that has not been cut?  Does it have the lucite bar that covers the paper insert with the extensions on it?  Cloth cords are  more desirable than vinyl.  If it has one of those old multi-prong plugs, definitely worth it.  Some of these have had the buttons removed and the holes blocked, these are worth a lot less.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

ESalter

Multi-prong plug on a 464?  All I've seen before are hardwired, which is why about half of them you'll find have had the cords chopped off.

---Eric

LM Ericsson

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 24, 2013, 10:41:23 AM
About $45 on the low end.  If it's not a beater than it"s a good deal.  A lot of the value for these is in the parts.  Replacement parts can be hard to find, since they all tend to be missing the same pieces.  Does it have the original cord that has not been cut?  Does it have the lucite bar that covers the paper insert with the extensions on it?  Cloth cords are  more desirable than vinyl.  If it has one of those old multi-prong plugs, definitely worth it.  Some of these have had the buttons removed and the holes blocked, these are worth a lot less.
The line cord has been cut. Ive decided not to buy it because I am going on a Spring Break trip next week.
Regards,
-Grayson

Sargeguy

Here is a pic of the plug:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3943.0

I think the money is probably better spent on SPring Break, you can always pick-up the paperweight at a later date.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

cchaven

I'm lucky..both my  440 and 465 came complete, including the lucite bar.  Though the 465 has had it's cord cut while the 440 cord is intact. That'd be one heck of a wiring job putting a new cord on the 465...it's a thick bundle.

Jeff

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: LM Ericsson on March 23, 2013, 05:06:28 PM
I saw a Western Electric 464 multi-line at an antique store today for $45. How much can these be worth?

Buy it!!! On ebay they go for a killing.

ESalter

That is really cool, I've honestly never seen a plug or socket like that before! 

---Eric

AE_Collector

I would assume that those plugs are portable use of a phone thus they were never any Telco's routine install to use these. Also, with only8 pins wouldn't these plugs more likely be used with non 1A2 multi line phones? 1A2 uses 6 conductors per line though additional lines can get down to4 conductors per line.

Terry

poplar1

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 25, 2013, 01:01:09 AM
I would assume that those plugs are portable use of a phone thus they were never any Telco's routine install to use these. Also, with only8 pins wouldn't these plugs more likely be used with non 1A2 multi line phones? 1A2 uses 6 conductors per line though additional lines can get down to4 conductors per line.

Terry

The 9-pin 8-pin 274A plug and 392A jack were sufficient for the 462AC  set; that set was used only with a 755A PBX. It had a common talk path, 4 trunks, local and hold. No lamps.

A 466 set, also used with a 755A PBX, is like the 462, but it has lamps; so 9 8 leads would not be enough.

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2329-c38-851-i3-multi-line-sets-for-750-755-tl

On 1A, 1A1 or 1A2 Key without lamps, with 9 8 leads you could have 2 lines (1T 1R 1H 1B, 2T 2R 2H 2B) or (1T 1R 1A A1 T2 R2 2A) + common audible (R B) or one line + intercom.

I do remember seeing multi-line sets (564s) at a friend's house in New York (though not with the 274A plug). They had only pickup on two lines, no hold, no lamps, no common audible ringer. So these were using only 2 pairs

Later, there were round jacks resembling the 4-conductor 505A jacks which had 6 and 12 conductors. I have a 6-pin plug, but not the 6-cond. jack nor any 12-conductor.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LM Ericsson

I have an update for everyone. I just bought it today anyway so here it is:
Regards,
-Grayson

WesternElectricBen

Should be much easier to work in than the wire mess 565's...
Ben

Mr. Bones

Grayson,

Very cool phone! 8)

Looks like a great deal, especially for the $. Picture #3 is too sad; it's bad enough that they lopped off the line cord, but it looks like, maybe, they had pretty bad eyesight, and used a dull corn knife.

I'll bet you get it spiffed up, and looking good, though!

Congratulations on the nice acquisition!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

The inside looks rather easy to work on, a lot neater than my ITT phone's guts, but it is a shame they docked it's tail, but I guess people think that "going wireless"is somewhat literal... :D

Still, with the right materials and all, it should work as it should again I'm sure... :)