"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302GX?

Started by Mr. Bones, May 29, 2013, 09:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Hi,

I've searched the forum, and paul-f's site. Thanks to Paul, and poplar1, I understand the basics about the difference between the 302A-302G models, even the 306's converted to a 302 "Special".

I have a 302 base that is marked on the upper exterior, 302GX, in vermillion.
    B2A ringer, appears to be dated 55 (barely legible, under the right light and angle)
    101B Induction Coil, dated II 52.
    195A Capacitor

Can anybody provide me some information on this model, its variances, nuances, intended purpose, etc., from the basic 302C?

[Edit] According to Paul-F's site, I'd have to venture a guess that the phone started out as a 304 / H3. My curiosity is: what was it converted to, that was designated 302GX?

Standing by patiently, awaiting enlightenment... ;)

Thanks for sharing your amassed knowledge, and best regards!
[/edit]

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

One more question, regarding this particular phone: do the extra two ringer mounting holes indicate very early base, or just accommodation for various other ringers, such as freguency, etc. Thanks, in advance!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

I'm guessing the extra holes are for the older style ringer mount. They are an easy way to date a black set as 1952 without opening the phone.

Frequency ringers used a slightly larger mount than the straight line ringers, but these  mounts will also accept straight-line ringers. The frequency ringers were made by Kellogg and Stromberg Carlson. The telephone sets were coded 251 and the housings were marked AB1 instead of H-1.

Apparently, WE stopped making their own frequency ringers after the metal subsets were "manufacture discontinued."

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

This started out as a 304. The extra wires on the ringer were needed for "Tip party identification" for "measured service."

The tip party is the one whose ringer is connected to tip (green) and ground. The ring party's ringer is connected to ring (red) and ground. The ring party's phone was a regular 302G since it didn't need any identification.

In other words, on a 2-party line in cities such as St. Louis and New York where you were charged even for local calls, there had to be a way of billing the correct party.

One coil of the B2A ringer was used to provide a high resistance path to ground when the phone was off-hook, and the Central Office equipment was able to distinguish the parties by seeing this.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.