( dead link 11-05-21 )
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

rdelius

AC plug?.wrong handset (newer style) and coiled cord

Phonesrfun

Quote from: rdelius on January 13, 2017, 09:51:35 PM
AC plug?.wrong handset (newer style) and coiled cord

All of which are fix-able, but one really has to wonder what the AC plug was for and what happens should one plug it in.  Yikes. 
-Bill G

Jack Ryan

I've seen quite a few DIY portable installations that used mains plugs and sockets.  I assume that is because those plugs and sockets are readily available.

Most complete telephones have an alarm that sounds if accidentally connected to the mains (while on hook).

Jack

Jim Stettler

Electricians sometimes rig up a talk circuit over un powered lines, Basically a couple of handsets and talk battery. Typically  used when pulling wire.

JMO,
Jim S.

I have a pair of sound powered handsets with AC plugs, mno talk battery needed.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 13, 2017, 10:13:11 PM
Most complete telephones have an alarm that sounds if accidentally connected to the mains (while on hook).

Jack

Unless the phone has a frequency ringer!

Terry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 13, 2017, 10:21:06 PM
Unless the phone has a frequency ringer!

Terry

No, I tried a 20Hz frequency ringer and the alarm worked fine...

Jack

unbeldi

Remember that the Western Electric 331 portable telephone set also used a standard 3-point Hubbell plug terminated line cord !

Pourme

I saw the AC plug and couldn't come up with anything at all, seller had no explanation.

Benny
Benny

paul-f

AC plugs are also relatively common practice for wiring phones used for stage production props, allowing the sound tech to ring the phone on cue.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

twocvbloke

Back when I was volunteering at a theatre, the prop phones were wired to some 2-pin DIN plugs that connected to a transformer (whose output went to a control box for the person up there to try and emulate convincing ringing cadence) up in the gantry where all the fun stuff happened, those were basically speaker wires, but did the job, and were "unique" enough in the wiring to not be plugged into the wrong place... :)

Dan/Panther

Maybe at one point it was a lamp. That may be the reason for the wrong handset. Or Not !

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Victor Laszlo

The ones that do not come equipped with an audible over-voltage alarm often are equipped with a visual alarm system that emits a small amount of smoke, in order to alert the user.

andre_janew

I think it could be what Jack said.  Namely a DIY portable installation. 

Pourme

I think one of you should buy it and solve the mystery!
Benny