News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I got myself a cool single slot today. No keys. Before I drill, some questions.

Started by ve3kjx, October 17, 2017, 11:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

While doing a bit of forum clean up, I found this link showing a member's alternative to drilling a lock. This was from 2013 and the member has not logged in since then. I saved the external images (which surprised me that the links were still working) as attachments to the topic but left the external linked images in the middle of the text content to make it easier reading. Posted here as possible reference/help, if needed.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10065.msg107003#msg107003

ve3kjx

Quote from: TelePlay on October 26, 2017, 11:37:15 PM
While doing a bit of forum clean up, I found this link showing a member's alternative to drilling a lock. This was from 2013 and the member has not logged in since then. I saved the external images (which surprised me that the links were still working) as attachments to the topic but left the external linked images in the middle of the text content to make it easier reading. Posted here as possible reference/help, if needed.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10065.msg107003#msg107003

This is extremely helpful. Thank you!

I am unable to find a key, or get someone who has one to trust me (even with a cash deposit) to send one to borrow. The idea being that I could open my phone, make an impression of the key for future copy, and send it back. Obviously a risky thing for the key holder.

I will give this method a try and report back, I've been unable to drill the lock, I was going to order a tungsten carbide bit as I've destroyed quite a few already.

Key2871

I know this thread is a little old. But I have a way I've done that worked well. I don't know if anyone here remembers Dennis Owens, used to be a member of the ATCA. I had bought a bunch of used AT&T smart sets that had no keys.
Dennis suggested that I use a cold chisel to beat the screws out of the holes from inside. Thing was the bolts were harder than the steel that they are screwed into. So I tried it, it worked. It took about fifteen minutes per lock, and I destroyed the lock, but no damage to the phone at all.
Then I wondered, what if I used a wooden dowel? So I bought a 3/8" dowel, I got that size because of the vault lock.
So I cut a piece about 6" long, started with a ball peen hammer and about 8 minutes later, the lock dropped right out. And it was basically un damaged,  I cut the rivet head around the post it's self, pried the top off and dummied
the lock, put the top plate on an using a punch peeked the post over to lock the plate down again.
I did the same with the upper as well. You don't have to hit them hard, it's the vibration that loosens the screws, and they drop out.
Want it done faster, use a hammer drill with a dowel.

Just an other idea to use when you want to get into a phone with no keys, and you want to keep the lock to dummy.
KEN

ve3kjx

Quote from: Key2871 on April 25, 2018, 01:22:35 PM
I know this thread is a little old. But I have a way I've done that worked well. I don't know if anyone here remembers Dennis Owens, used to be a member of the ATCA. I had bought a bunch of used AT&T smart sets that had no keys.
Dennis suggested that I use a cold chisel to beat the screws out of the holes from inside. Thing was the bolts were harder than the steel that they are screwed into. So I tried it, it worked. It took about fifteen minutes per lock, and I destroyed the lock, but no damage to the phone at all.
Then I wondered, what if I used a wooden dowel? So I bought a 3/8" dowel, I got that size because of the vault lock.
So I cut a piece about 6" long, started with a ball peen hammer and about 8 minutes later, the lock dropped right out. And it was basically un damaged,  I cut the rivet head around the post it's self, pried the top off and dummied
the lock, put the top plate on an using a punch peeked the post over to lock the plate down again.
I did the same with the upper as well. You don't have to hit them hard, it's the vibration that loosens the screws, and they drop out.
Want it done faster, use a hammer drill with a dowel.

Just an other idea to use when you want to get into a phone with no keys, and you want to keep the lock to dummy.

I Think I understand you. Makes sense. :D

Key2871

It boils down to vibration. Laying the phone on its side, (think I forgot to put that down). But with no damage to the set,  hitting the lock actually causes the screws to come loose, then they fall out.
I think it's way better, than drilling out the lock. Because if you have a nice green one, and the drill slips, oops you have to fix the marred up paint.
KEN

Payphone installer

Upper housing lock on this phone is a 30C not 29A you will probably never be able to drill it and you can never make a key with it in the phone. Or find a key. Jody the key maker is in jail for molestation of a minor, we wont be seeing him again I understand. 

HarrySmith

Does anyone have any idea what happenned to Jody's key stuff? Machines, blanks, books etc? Or for that matter what about all Paul Vaverchak's key stuff? From what I understand these were the last 2 people making the keys. If the equipment & supplies are just sitting somewhere, somebody should pick up the business!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

I remember a conversation with Paul about a year before he passed, there was another person who had key blanks and the ability to make keys. I never got this person's name, but it was my understanding that he was a member of the two clubs. TCI, and ATCA, and lived in the mid west.
But as I said was some years back now. After he passed, and Dennis Owens passed, I lost touch with who was doing what with payphones. Paul told me he had a list of upper number locks and what state was what number, and either he could make keys or this other person he knew could. Vault locks only had one key, and no information on how to make a copy was available.
That's why I dummied my locks, because with Paul gone, and  me not able to afford $30 for a lock with one key from other members of the ATCA it was my only option. I figured out how to open the lock and remove the pins and re assemble it and not even notice it was done.
KEN

kleenax

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 25, 2018, 05:51:09 PM
Does anyone have any idea what happenned to Jody's key stuff? Machines, blanks, books etc? Or for that matter what about all Paul Vaverchak's key stuff? From what I understand these were the last 2 people making the keys. If the equipment & supplies are just sitting somewhere, somebody should pick up the business!
I was responsible for selling Paul Vaverchak's entire estate, and one person bought Paul's (non-payphone) keys, key blanks, & lock collection and key-cutting machines, and he is not a telephone collector. This did not include his payphone locks & keys and payphone key blanks. Paul primarily re-keyed locks that needed keys, and then supplied a (used) key with that lock. He also could supply keys for the common upper-housing locks on 3-slots, and could also supply keys for some common single-slots, but he didn't care for single-slot phones too much! Dick Pitzer was the collector that had a complete set of 29A keys from the entire United States, and if you have him the number on the 29A lock, he could furnish you with a key to match that lock. I don't believe Dick is in the key business anymore, and failing that, I think Jim Engle & Mike Davis is the only people out there that know single-slot keys.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Key2871

:'(OK, yes now that you wrote Dick Pitzer, a light came on.
Boy it's been a while but I do remember getting a few from him, through Paul. I always got my payphone stuff from Paul. Be it three slot or single slot, even credit card phones, nib.
Three that went to JK museum, but now those are gone.
Thanks for the memories.
KEN

Payphone installer

I bought Pitzers lock business and have a gentleman in training that wants to start it back up. He is arranging his shop and hopes to be ready soon.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Payphone installer on April 26, 2018, 07:25:05 AM
I bought Pitzers lock business and have a gentleman in training that wants to start it back up. He is arranging his shop and hopes to be ready soon.

COOL! That's what I was hoping to hear! Please let us know when you are ready, lots of customers waiting in line here!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ed Morris

Ed

Key2871

KEN