News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Needed WE Ivory 302 8/49

Started by Doug Rose, July 12, 2015, 11:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet found the earliest Ivory 302 with clear plungers. date 8/49 and all dates match. The problem is when I wire the phone correctly I can call out and the phone rings. Handset is dead. So I wired the handset up directly and it works fine.

I remove the handset white from the W on the dial andwire it to the Y  on the dial with the yellow connection from the HKS, I get dial tone and the phone rings. but I cannot dial out. Where this is dated I do not want to change anything out if possible.

Best guess please, Coil or dial. Is there a workaround?...many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug  ...    It appears that the top 2 springs are not touching.  (See your annotated picture attached)   The top spring connects to "W" terminal.     It needs to touch the 2nd spring down when the dial is at rest, or parked.

Jeff

dsk

If you move W (Handset Receiver) to GN on induction coil?
(You may get clicking in receiver)

dsk

rdelius

that is a newer replacement dial #6.Would have had a #5

unbeldi

Well, the dial is not original anyways, its date cannot match the phone, so that can be swapped without losing originality.
Placing a jumper between W and BB should test Jeff's observation of lacking contact.

Doug Rose

Thanks guys, I do appreciate the fast, knowledgeable responses. You guys are the best!  I will check it out next time. This is one of the best Ivory sets I have seen, just a tad of yellowing on the bottom of the handset.

Has anyone seen a clear plunger set this early? I thought they we 52-54,

I am a little nervous as it was tight coming off.....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 12, 2015, 01:58:02 PM
Thanks guys, I do appreciate the fast, knowledgeable responses. You guys are the best!  I will check it out next time. This is one of the best Ivory sets I have seen, just a tad of yellowing on the bottom of the handset.

Has anyone seen a clear plunger set this early? I thought they we 52-54,

I am a little nervous as it was tight coming off.....Doug

Colored 302 production was resumed the last few weeks of 1948, and first installed again starting in January 1949.  At this time all plastic color sets had clear plungers and hollow handsets, and the new Lucite FW.

Doug Rose

Quote from: dsk on July 12, 2015, 12:44:32 PM
If you move W (Handset Receiver) to GN on induction coil?
(You may get clicking in receiver)

dsk
BINGO!!! Worked like a champ!! Thanks DSK.....I really appreciate it

Thanks to all for their insight, What a great place for the collector!! You guys are great!.....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

Nice to hear, what you have done now is to bypass 1 set of hookswitch contacts, and one set of dial contacts with wires. As far as it works OK it will be no need to repair anything, if you not want to. I love to fettle with things like that. (I hate to work with the finish like you are so good at.)

dsk

Doug Rose

dsk...thanks again, you save me hours of work...Doug
Kidphone