News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

EE-8.....an experiment.

Started by Babybearjs, August 29, 2017, 01:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well..... I got an EE-8 field phone some time ago and decided to update the wiring....(though it really didn't need it...I was bored.) anyway, I opened it up and desoldered all the connections and then pulled up the wiring schematic. I saw that it used colors that were part of a 25 pair cable and started to plan to rewire it with new wire, and then put the project away. I was looking at my collection the other day and it came back to me.... and it got me thinking.....Could a dial be wired into the phone? mind you this phone was part of a manual system and never needed one, BUT....could one be added to be able to use it today? since the phone can be used on a CB system as well as a LB system, then could it be done. I'm quite aware that the army Corps. used Butt sets back then.... so... if one was to attach a dial....one would attach it across T, R, and???? (L1, L2, or ???
John

dsk

What about this?
dsk

Babybearjs

Well, get aload of that..... they already did it.... and I thought it would be a neat idea..... oh well.... live and learn....... does anyone a a actual photo of one of these with the dial???
John

dsk

Sorry, I made this diagram.  Thank YouTube for Therese ideal.
dsk

Babybearjs

shame on you.... I was wondering why the dial was attached to the holding bridge of the LB side of the unit....
John

dsk

;D If you follow the dotted lines you will follow the DC current fram La to LB  Red to the dial, and when the dial is in rest position:
out along the blue line, trough the holding coil (filters out voice current) From there the yellow trough the Lever Switch (=Hook SW.) trough the CB selector in cb position. (A little switch on the top of the phone adjusted by a small screwdriver) and back to Line B.

During dialing the holding coil will be shorted and the dial pulses heard in the receiver will be muted. Green line.

Should work!

dsk

Babybearjs

notice the difference between pictures, in the first pic, the line switch is in the LB position....and the second, its in the CB position.... now it should work.... I'll have to try it..... the drawing shows a AE #51 dial.... how would a #5 dial be wired into the circuit?
John

dsk

On a #5 dial (most common dials on W.E. 302) You connect the red dotted line to: Y  The blue dotted line to BK and the green to R
Leave BB, and W unused, but remember to tighten the screws so you do not loose them.

dsk

dsk

I dug out my EE-8 and I'm working on cleaning the diagrams that will be posted later. Probably under diagrams.

The original scan and my "copy" made as readable as possible.

dsk

And this: