Started by TelePlay, March 01, 2016, 10:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on March 04, 2016, 06:17:47 PM
Didn't I put in a guess of $700?

You did, just checking to see if you were watching . . .     ::)

Just kidding. Must have missed it. Updating 3 contests at a time can make that happen.

Sorry! It's posted now, with the correct guess number (7).

TelePlay

This is an interesting auction. No new bids since the first one so no way of knowing how many buyers are interested in the phone. If only 1 or 2, it could go low. No one testing the current bid so no idea how high that first bid really is for this phone. May see some of that over the next day or so. Either way, this should be interesting to to watch when it ends. Could be a jaw dropping wow! if several buyers are laying in the weeds waiting for that last 5 seconds of the auction. And, quite a range of guesses so I would think the selling price has been covered, somewhere, in the guesses.

Jim Stettler

This phone is from the first production run of clear "soft" (tenite) 500's. These were part of the phone company display on the "new" 500 sets in color. If someone is trying to build a collection of "soft" 500's. This is the " proper" clear 500 to have in the collection.

I would expect it to bring between $750-$1200. My guess is $1350.00

JMO,
Jim S.
They only other clear 500 set in tenite that I know of was a clear 500 marked "call waiting" set. I used to own this phone.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

unbeldi

The set shows nicely the use of different plastics for the housing vs. the finger wheel on the dial.
While the housing and handset are yellowed from decomposition of the flame retardants and possibly other fillers, WECo used a plastic without the additions for the finger wheel, which is likely Lucite (brand) or some other PMMA acrylic, and which stayed colorless over the years.

compubit

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Jim Stettler

It is up to $493.00 with over 1 1/2 hours to go.

Jim
You live, You learn,

TelePlay

Quote from: Jim S. on March 06, 2016, 01:17:42 PM
It is up to $493.00 with over 1 1/2 hours to go.

Jim

Now $572 with an hour and 20 minutes to go. This could be a shockingly explosive last few seconds.

TelePlay

And the winner of Auction Contest #204 is Dennis Markham who with the 6th entry into the contest offered the winning guess of $1,585.00 to give him his 9th auction contest win! So, a big congratulations go out to Dennis Markham for another win in the CRPF Auction Contests and for moving up one rung in the Contest Standings.

Well, it seems bidder e***a ( 378 )'s first and bid of the auction, a last second snipe placed 9 seconds before the auction ended was more than another snipe placed only 5 seconds before the end to take the phone home for a higher than expected $1,657.22. The phone was listed high at $375 and stayed there with but one bid for 6 days. The bid stood at $525 with a bit more than an hour to go. It rose to about $670 with an hour to go and then within the last few seconds exploded by a cool grand, how about that. I hope the seller was sitting down. The auction saw 7 bidders placing 10 bids.

Check out the updated Contest Standings to see who's who through 205 contests and the latest additions to the CRPF Hall of Fame

Thanks again to all who played. As always, there is only one way to get on the winner's board or move up a rung - you have to play to win.

unbeldi

I believe this phone came from the very same manufacturing batch from which this phone
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201311723416,
that sold a year ago for 1/2 the price, came from. Same manufacturing date.  I think that phone was also a contest item here.

Jim Stettler

Mine is from the same batch as well. These originally had a greenish bell emblem for a dial center. The original ones also have a red stamp on the dial center. Mine is a G.   I have seen at least 3 others with the original dial center  (1 @ show, 2 on ebay).

JMO,
Jim S.

Anyone know what the "G" stamp indicated?
You live, You learn,

unbeldi

Quote from: Jim S. on March 07, 2016, 11:00:18 AM
Mine is from the same batch as well. These originally had a greenish bell emblem for a dial center. The original ones also have a red stamp on the dial center. Mine is a G.   I have seen at least 3 others with the original dial center  (1 @ show, 2 on ebay).

JMO,
Jim S.

Anyone know what the "G" stamp indicated?

Is it manually rubber-stamped on the card stock or printed on the clear window?