News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric 4 Wire Remote Broadcast Phone

Started by jnphones, December 03, 2012, 12:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnphones

I found this at a Flea market near Smith Falls ON, on Dec 1st, It looks to be a phone that would hook up to a radio system, judging by the case it is in, it would be a piece of test equipment, as opposed to subscriber equipment. It was made by Northern Electric and has mid 60's date codes. The identifying number on the back is: QSK7A-67,  67 probably being the year it was manufactured. It has a Bell Canada crest on the front and BT stamped on the back. The pics inside show a network (I haven't open it up yet to find part numbers ) the battery box had 4 leaky alkaline D cells. Judging by the rear terminal strip it would hook up to a radio.
If anyone has ideas or comments, please feel free, it may take a day or two for me to respond to them though.

Phonesrfun

To me, it does not look like a control head for a mobile telephone.  It looks to be some kind of 4-wire set that is able to be used on both 150 and 600 ohm lines.  Perhaps it was used as a test set for 4-wire circuits.
-Bill G

G-Man

The following is an excerpt from the TCI lists. If there is any further interest then someone should post the number of the [Bell Canada] BSP to the TCI listserve so their Canadian members can look-up and scan the description.

Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:18 pm |

This appears to be an updated version of Northern's QSK7A "green phone". It
was a local battery set designed for use by broadcasters to co-ordinate
remote programming over leased lines. The phones worked over a separate pair
(order wire), and contained a battery powered oscillator to generate ringing
current for signaling the other end. Also built into the unit was a program
quality audio transformer, 150 to 600 ohms, which could be used to match the
subscriber's audio program to the leased line.
[/i]

jnphones

Thanks Bill and G-man,
I was wondering if it was used to link up to a remote radio transmitter site.

ESalter

We have a WE version of the same thing.  A black fiber case with a black rotary Princess phone mounted inside of it.  Someone else here on the forum has one and posted photos, but I don't remember who or when right off.  We presume ours was used by a local AM radio station.  ---Eric

ESalter

G-Man

Quote from: jnphones on December 03, 2012, 03:04:08 PM
Thanks Bill and G-man,
I was wondering if it was used to link up to a remote radio transmitter site.

No, it was used for originating a remote program to the studio. It was not used to link the transmitter site. Since the BSP is shown on its side, a request on the TCI list should yield scan of its description.

G-Man

Quote from: ESalter on December 03, 2012, 03:52:09 PM
I found the previous thread I was thinking of.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4856.0

The Princess model is a different animal. For one it's a dial common battery telephone used on the pstn instead of a local battery talk and signaling instrument on a leased-pair.

Also, it uses a coupler for use on a dial-up line instead of a broadcast quality repeating coil (transformer) for use on a "dry-pair."

AE_Collector

G-Man has it right as far as I know. I found a whole bunch of these in a scrap metal bin at work (Telco) a couple of years ago so I rescued several of them. Kept 1 or 2 and gave the rest away.

Terry

jnphones

Hi All,

Thank you to the guys that helped identify and describe the phone, also providing its proper title.

-john

jnphones

Attached are some photo's re Jeremy's request. I hope this provides enough detail.

john

oldphon

Thanks John!  Don't you just love the folks of the past that always left batteries in things, even when not being used?  Haha!
Happy Holidays!

DavePEI

Yes, I can confirm it is an NE QSK7a - From my Museum FB Page:

"The QSK7A from Matthew Mylan Gill arrived this morning. Aside from one battery lead disconnecting, it survived the journey well. Here are photos after a quick clean-up. I still need to clean the sticker remnants off the back of the battery box and clean the cord. The QSK7A was used for remote radio broadcasts over 2 and 4 wire cables.

The ring indicator is on the upper front left, the headset plugs into the upper front right. On the back are independent terminals for several different program microphone impedance inputs; 150 ohms, 500 ohms, to connect them to 600 ohm line, as well as the terminals for connecting the QSK1 to the line.

The unit was built in 1968. This is roughly the electrical equivalent of the Western Electric 331B, a very different looking unit with no handset."

Two photos of it, and a photo of the WE equivalent, the 331 B
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: oldphon on December 23, 2012, 10:17:08 PM
Thanks John!  Don't you just love the folks of the past that always left batteries in things, even when not being used?  Haha!
Happy Holidays!
I was glad to find that the batteries had been removed from mine, and the battery box was as good as new! When one thinks about it, the batteries should have been changed with every broadcast, as it wouldn't pay to have them run down during a broadcast!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

Quote from: DavePEI on September 07, 2016, 02:24:13 PM

The on air light is on the upper front left,
This is actually a visual ringing indicator in form of a neon lamp behind the lens.
The ringer could be turned off to avoid disturbance.

These were not used to transmit the broadcast signal, but on control circuits between the broadcast center and the on-site crew.

the headset plugs into the upper front right. On the back are terminals for several different microphone impedance inputs; 150 ohms, 500 ohms, and a 600 ohm jack,
I would think these are options for matching the impedance to the private line.

as well as the terminals for connecting it to the line..

The unit was built in 1968. This is roughly the electrical equivalent of the Western Electric 331B, a very different looking unit with no handset."
The 331B came either with an F3 or G5 handset standard, the no. 52 headset was an optional accessory.

I think the major improvement in the NECo version is the use of the 425 network, while the 331B still used the 104A induction coil.
... and some improvements in looks of course.