"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Blue Thermoplastic 302 Here and Gone

Started by Doug Rose, November 04, 2012, 11:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

Doug Rose

I would put original WE brown cloth cords on it. I would make it as original as possible. When I find a beater at a flea or a yard sale, I look at the parts. Can I use that dial? Those cloth cords look good, just dirty. Handset looks good.

To me, nothing spoils a great old phone more than reproduction parts. The fake dial card or the fake cords, your eyes just go right to it.

Wrong parts can be just as offending. Am AE dial or handset on a WE phone. They are vintage parts, but just wrong.

We are keeping history. We really are. We are maintaining relics for another generation. I am not talking about someone who just wants a working old phone in their living room, I am talking about us. Purists.

Again....just one mans opinion....Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

Most of my phones were found without dial cards or the condition was just beyond salvageable.  However, if they are there in good shape I do agree you should preserve them.  I'm okay with reproduction dial cards as I don't see a slew of affordable decent shape original dial cards for sale online anywhere...

AE_Collector

So would a blue 302 have originally had brown cloth cords rather than blue cloth? I just assumed that they came with blue and blue is unavailable other than repro. (Don't know much of anything about WECo)

Terry

poplar1

The pekin red, ivory, gray-green and blue 302s came with matching color cords. They had the twill weave even after the basket weave was used for brown cords.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Jester

That sure seems high for what I saw.  The one I bought had two cracked corners, but they didn't go past the corners.  The handset is also in better shape.  Was it worth what I paid for it?  Who knows-- but I'm happy with it.
Stephen

Doug Rose

Stephen...I thought it was high considering that really bad crack. Yours was expertly repaired and you should be proud. I doubt this will ever be repaired to equal what was paid for it.....Doug
Kidphone