News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

multiline exclusion?

Started by cchaven, November 19, 2010, 08:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cchaven

Could someone explain to me just what 'multiline exclusion' is?  I have a WE 400 series with the right switch hook that you pull up to activate it, but I"m not sure just what it does.

Thanks!
Jeff

paul-f

Jeff,

I believe it's multiline, exclusion.  Multiline refers to the keys (buttons) on the front edge of the set and exclusion refers to the switch attached to the plunger.

The exclusion switch can be wired for a number of functions.  The one that gave it the name is to use the switch to exclude any phones from the phone line that are wired after this set.

In a business environment, the phone user's primary line was often shared with a secretary and was set up so that either could answer an incoming call.  The exclusion switch was on the executive's desk set.  When activated, the line going on to the secretary's phone was cut off, making it impossible for her (in those days)  to listen in on the call -- assuring privacy.

Phones with exclusion could also be used in a residence to let dad cut off the line to the kids' phone.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line