News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coca-Cola Phone

Started by Babybearjs, February 12, 2016, 03:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

here is a good question.... Original or custom? Did Coca-Cola ask to have this made, or did someone take old parts and make this custom? It really is pretty.... would fit perfect in someones restaurant....
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 12, 2016, 03:52:23 PM
here is a good question.... Original or custom? Did Coca-Cola ask to have this made, or did someone take old parts and make this custom? It really is pretty.... would fit perfect in someones restaurant....

In the 80s, Coca-Cola marketing produced an entire family of Coke phones.
Not sure if yours was one of them.

The model 5000:

G-Man

Carefully crafted statement "This is Not a replica Gamewell Call Box or Telephone" but does not further disclose that it is a fanciful repurposing of both items.

The seller is a former ATCA president who manufactures a myriad of differently branded fanciful telephone items. He does spend a lot of money to have them power-coated; something that ruins their authenticity and makes it difficult to bring the WECo 211 and Gamewell box back to original.
One would also have to ask themselves as to why Coke would authorize another company to use a Western Electric 211 and Gamewell enclosure and how they could come up with the huge quantity required on a national basis.

COCA COLA Fountain Service Call Box Antique Telephone Sign Coke Soda Bottle Old
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COCA-COLA-Fountain-Service-Call-Box-Antique-Telephone-Sign-Coke-Soda-Bottle-Old-/201521986758?hash=item2eeba57cc6:g:kjgAAOSwbdpWYifJ

poplar1

From the listing

Box is an original 1920 - 1940's Gamewell Inner Mechanism Box made of cast aluminum and was originally used in old Fire Alarm or Police Call Boxes. This is Not a replica Gamewell Call Box or Telephone. However, along the way the Call Box Telephone was "modified and repurposed" as a "Coca Cola Fountain Service" Call Box Telephone......Be sure to ask about other Police, Fire, Yellow Cab Taxi and Railroad Call Box Telephone Restorations.

Translation:

"Along the way" = in the past few weeks!

See my tagline:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

Interesting.... I hope whoever gets it, likes it.... I think it was wonderfully done and would really look cool in a restaurant.... working, of course.
John

Jim Stettler

This type of "restoration"  becomes "art". I would call it a "fantasy" piece. I think the auction description does make it clear to people who read it and comprehend it.

The item isn't  real but it is a pretty cool item, I wouldn't have a problem owning something like this but I would know it is a fantasy phone. I don't have a problem with the conversion, However, It can muddle things in a few decades.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

andre_janew

It could also be called a phantom phone, meaning this type of phone could have been built a long time ago but wasn't.  They could've made it way back when, but they didn't.  Sort of like a 1964 1/2 Mustang with a 2 speed automatic transmission.  Ford could've made such a car, but as far as anyone knows, they didn't.

WEBellSystemChristian

Although it looks real, it sure doesn't seem to be. There are some things I want to clear up...

First, it doesn't look like it was powdercoated. It's easy to tell that the Gamewell box was painted as one (not totally dissasembled and coated). I can almost guarantee that there are some plastic or rubber parts on the chassis that would melt if set in the oven during the curing process of powdercoat.Also, you can see chips and scratches all over the phone. If it were powdercoated, that absolutely wouldn't happen so easily and casually; damage would be involved!  ;D

Second, powdercoat is tough, but not to paint stripper. I have stripped and prepped many parts for powdercoating after a bad initial coating, and it comes off easier than any paint I've dealt with.

To add to the vote for not authentic, this set has an OPW handset cord.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

NorthernElectric

Presumably, the Gamewell box conceals a subset or has been turned into one with suitable components.  Any photos of inside the box?
Cliff

poplar1

The seller's description states that "the modern day telephone components are located inside of the Gamewell Call Box." Also, that "the pictures may show some reflections in the powder coated finish."

Babybearjs

so, which one of you are the person making these? certainly the seller knows about OPW and other sources.... seems to be a collector.... and seller... so who is it???
John