News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can a 202 be wired to a 4228 network?

Started by deedubya3800, March 25, 2011, 12:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

Just an off-the-wall question here so I can do some testing because I don't have a proper subset on hand. But yes, can a 202 be wired to a 4228 network? I figure the 4228 is probably more electrically similar to a 425, but I'm looking for bigger issues that might prevent such a combination from being advisable.

Phonesrfun

The 4228 is exactly a 425-B in a different package, so yes, following the previously posted instructions for hooking it up to a 425B, you can use the 4228.
-Bill G

deedubya3800

Many thanks! :) I kinda figured they were about, if not exactly, the same, and I'd read someone else's suggestion of using a junk 500 as a subset. I have an '81 Exeter that I've been slowly parting out for other uses. For example, I used its modular line jack to do a totally reversible modular conversion to my 302.

Those previously posted instructions, in case someone else comes across this thread first in their quest, are at http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1958.0

Phonesrfun

Here is a diagram you can go by.  It is the 425-B layout, but as mentioned, the 4228 terminals are the same.  Wire accordingly.
-Bill G

deedubya3800

Is it necessary to use all four wires to the ringer? The donor phone has the slate and slate/red wires capped off and the red connected to K.

Phonesrfun

No, you don't absolutely "need" all 4 wires connected, but it is best to have all 4 connected as follows:

Red - L2
Black - L1
Slate/red - A
Slate - K

Like other things, there are more ways to skin a cat.  The reason for the 4 wires on the 500 ringer, as opposed to 2 is so they could split the ringer windings to aid in identifying the caller on a party line, which is a somewhat complex discussion

If you were to tie slate/red and slate together, and connected red to K, you would then need to have the black wire connected to L1, and a jumper wire between L2 and A.

It is best, and less confusing to stick with the intended wiring.
-Bill G