News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Project Completed AE 50 on Wood Mount

Started by Doug Rose, October 16, 2011, 10:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way with AE help. This is the completed project. I picked this up on eBay a while back and it was it tough shape. Refinished the wood, rewired, new type 41 handset (I know it should be on a AE 35, but it looks just so darn cool). I added a modular cord to the back and it is now a working phone. Type 41 handset has about the same audio quality as a WE E1 bullet receiver, but it just looks so darn cool. I am very happy the way this turned out. Bakelite cleaned up really nice with my method.  No chips cracks or missing pieces. I love the brass on black. Original AE dial card from an old butt set. This will make a fine display phone

I have an AE decal that I purchased from Gary Goff a while back. They are a reproduction but look perfect. Do I add it across the top or walk away. ...thanks.........Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

My preference is to skip the decal.

It looks so good without it, why confuse things with a large rectangular block and lots of tiny letters that (IMHO) would have been better placed on the back of the phone in the first place?

[I'd preserve an original decal if it was in good shape, but don't see the value of adding a repro decal.]

Of course, it's your phone, so should be finished in a way that appeals most to you.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Looks Great Doug. Our shops made up similar wooden backboards for AE50's to give as retirement presents to Telco Employees.....back in the good old days.

AE Canada never did the decals on the 50's, maybe not on the base of 40's either come to think of it. I could never figure out why they didn't just put the decal inside the 50's somewhere.

Terry

GG

Beautiful work there Doug.  Good way to display wall sets: create desk bases for them.

I'm surprised that holds together structurally, given the weight of an AE 50.  Or do you have some kind of metal reinforcement in the back? 

Re. AE transmitters:  I thought that was a type 34 handset?   What I think of as a type 41 transmitter is the one that's used with a type 40 Monophone, looks identical to a type 81 found in an 810 handset on a type 80, and sounds almost as good.  The hard-wired transmitters found on type 34 handsets sounded low-fi but I always thought that had as much to do with the shape on the inside of the mouthpiece horn as anything else.  And in any case they still sound better than cellphones! 

If WE bullet transmitters sound about the same as AE 34 Monophone transmitters, that's not so bad.  At which point here's me looking for one, just to find out. 

AE_Collector

Quote from: GG on October 16, 2011, 11:25:57 AM
I thought that was a type 34 handset? 

Actually it is (argueably) a type 38 handset that Doug has used there. Argueably because there are numerous different designs of that handset that all look pretty much the same but it might just be the later model with newer style AE receiver and transmitter capsules that is truely a type 38.

Terry

Doug Rose

Terry.....Type 38 handset works for me. For some reason I always thought these were a Type 41, just shows what I know. I truly love the AE designs, the AE34 and AE40 and the the AE35 and AE50 are just such beautiful phones..Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

Nice phone Doug. It looks really nice displayed like that. You said "Bakelite cleaned up really nice with my method". Is that method talked about in any of your previous postings? With some minor modifications that type of wooden display would work nice for the WE "Spacesaver" type phones. You could install a box with a mini-network on the back side of the phone. Or with the AE "Spacemakers" you could put a small ringer box in the back since the AE phones already have a network inside of them.
Doug Pav

Doug Rose

Quote from: Wallphone on October 17, 2011, 09:18:26 AM
Nice phone Doug. It looks really nice displayed like that. You said "Bakelite cleaned up really nice with my method". Is that method talked about in any of your previous postings? With some minor modifications that type of wooden display would work nice for the WE "Spacesaver" type phones. You could install a box with a mini-network on the back side of the phone. Or with the AE "Spacemakers" you could put a small ringer box in the back since the AE phones already have a network inside of them.
Doug Pav
Hey Doug....yes it is the method that I described previously. Bakelite came out with a wonderful deep shine. I am very pleased with it....thanks....other Doug
Kidphone

ntophones

Beautiful phone! Nice, very nice, job! Congrats!
Say, could you link to your method of shining?
Thanks,
ntophones
--nto

Doug Rose

Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 16, 2011, 10:33:45 AM
Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way with AE help. This is the completed project. I picked this up on eBay a while back and it was it tough shape. Refinished the wood, rewired, new type 41 handset (I know it should be on a AE 35, but it looks just so darn cool). I added a modular cord to the back and it is now a working phone. Type 41 handset has about the same audio quality as a WE E1 bullet receiver, but it just looks so darn cool. I am very happy the way this turned out. Bakelite cleaned up really nice with my method.  No chips cracks or missing pieces. I love the brass on black. Original AE dial card from an old butt set. This will make a fine display phone

Wow. Love the phone AND the stand. Nice work!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001