News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Model 50 Observation

Started by Partyline4, February 24, 2018, 10:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

I got a really sweet deal on a 50 about a week ago, got it in the mail and noticed it was missing the little chrome plunger. I learned that any other AE phone plunger would do the trick once trimmed down, but I continued searching for other model 50's and noticed that a large percentage of them are MISSING the hook switch button all together! I mean I see a LOT of them missing....Why would that piece ever go missing?

Doug Rose

To open the phone, you have to unscrew the plunger. The Plunger can be a real (expletive deleted) to get back on. Probably why so many are missing...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Phone removed from wall and recovered to the Telco. Plunger not reinstalled properly, just tossed in the box with phone and ....it's gone. Our shops made up retirement gifts for plant guys mounting a 50 to a nice oak backboard and putting a plaque on the board etc. They had no problem getting the 50's but towards the end of this practise they had 50 or more of them in stock and zero plunger sets. They decided to make new plungers and nuts to the tune of $60-$75 a set at the time.

The first thing to look for when buying a 50 is that this part is included! Second thing is to check for SL versus Frequency Ringers (40's and 50's)!

Plunger sets are around $35 on eBay I think. May be less expensive to try to snag a damaged or "under the radar" AE 50. Also watch for the dial card ring to be included/missing.

Terry

poplar1

I think the plungers for AE 35 and 50 ended up in the same place as the L brackets for 211s. And the subsets that had been used with 202s, 211s, desk stands.

Always amusing to see a 211 on eBay with the seller holding it upright with his/her hand since there is no bracket included.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: poplar1 on February 24, 2018, 01:34:59 PM
I think the plungers for AE 35 and 50 ended up in the same place as the L brackets for 211s. And the subsets that had been used with 202s, 211s, desk stands.

Always amusing to see a 211 on eBay with the seller holding it upright with his/her hand since there is no bracket included.
Graybar/Western Electric Interphone backplates are also there.
JMO,
JIm S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Partyline4

Yeah I got this one under the radar on eBay. Seller listed it as a Western Electric vintage telephone  ;D ;D. My grandad actually alerted me of it! Fresh listing, snapped it up immediately. The phone is in great condition otherwise, and I mounted it to a nice stand today to be used with my Xlink Bluetooth system with the cell phone. Just recently discovered you can dial out with rotary on it!!!!!!!  :D :D :D :D

Maybe a WE cord? Never seen a cord like that on an AE....Black material...Maybe dyed?

Babybearjs

this phone was the first I ever collected...  has an extremely loud ringer.... though There have ben some with poor performance... I tried completely rewiring one with new wire one time... it worked but was a bugger to do.... Mine is now a museum piece in my kitchen, still able to be used, but just to look at now.... not bad for a $9.99 investment back in 1980....
John

AE_Collector

AE had straight rubber cords...is that what It Is?

Were you missing just the plunger, not the nut? Did you find or cut down a plunger from an 80?

Terry

kleenax

Gary Goff had a special tool made to install/remove these special nuts, and it REALLY helps! This same tool also has a special end on it to also install/remove those pesky nuts in the middle of the AE type 38 handset (receiver end). Don't know if he has any left though, as they were difficult to make.

When I began getting ready to cast the AE 50, I began sourcing parts to complete my creations, and was fortunate to find a cache of those missing plungers, so I do have a few to sell. They are $20 ea which includes shipping.

Unfortunately, if I price them cheaper, "someone" always tries to buy ALL of them then raise their price to $35/ea. I see that he has now had some made and placed on eBay. I have not seen or used one of these reproductions, but mine are originals so they may have some nicks and wear.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

rdelius

Here is a monophone tool

AE_Collector

Both the Plunger and nut Ray... The set?

Great deal if so!

Robbie's Monophone Tool is the original, the reproductions didn't loook like this but they do the same job.

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on February 25, 2018, 10:32:08 AM
Here is a monophone tool
This is a very desirable find. I had two that I had in NOS Monophone sets in box and they sold for twice of what the phones went for. I kick myself for not keeping one for my collection....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I haven't seen or searched for one on eBay in a very long time but years ago I seem to recall seeing a couple sell in the $60 - $80 each range. I am fortunate to have one given to me by my late phone collecting friend Grant Munro.

Terry

Jim Stettler

I have one somewhere. Whenever I find it, I can't remember it's use.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

Ray summarized its use a half dozen posts prior to this one.

....oh maybe you know it's use now but forget again when you find it! Happens to us all....

Terry