News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Answering machine

Started by Sigmaz, April 26, 2018, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

Does anyone have the model number or name of the old Bell system Answering machine that recorded on the rubber drums?

I saw one on ebay not long ago and It wasn't until now that I kicked myself or not picking it up.

I think I really need to have one...

Thanks.

wds

I saw that one on Ebay.  I have a couple that I've been thinking of selling. 
Dave

Sigmaz

I'd be interested in learning more about your thoughts.
:P

That smaller one appears to be announce only?
Neat!

wds

Last one sold for $450 including s/h., and wasn't in quite as good a shape as mine.
Dave

Sigmaz

Something to save for. Thanks
Are they in operational condition?

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Sigmaz

The big one is the 1-BA right?
What is the model of the announce only unit?
I've been doing some reading and I can't find a photo of a WE1A .. so I don't know what that one looks like.

Update: I found an old eBay ad.
Looks the same as the 1-BA.
The one here looks a little hacked...
The plate behind the answer mode knob looks like it was an afterthought... hmm.
Click here to see..

Vacuumlad1650

I lnow its a different answering machine, but in my mind I hear Thelma Harper saying "Its your dime...spill it!"
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

wds

Picture of the internals of the 1-A and the 1-BA (not mine).  I notice they are only slightly different.
Dave

HarrySmith

What do they record on? Is it like a phonograph wax cylinder type thing?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Looks like some sort of magnetic tape. Like a tape recorder would have, but way larger. And the one on the left is for out going message? And the bright for incoming?
KEN

Sigmaz

Quote from: Key2871 on April 27, 2018, 11:22:14 AM
Looks like some sort of magnetic tape. Like a tape recorder would have, but way larger. And the one on the left is for out going message? And the bright for incoming?

The drums are coated in ferrous oxide incorporated rubber compound, They appear similar (to me) to the drums of an Audichron.

19and41

Very interesting.  Great use of magnetic media and none of the pitfalls of tape or wire.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

wds

BSP says to clean the magnetic band with KS-2423 cloth with KS-16279 lubricant and wipe dry.

Here's pictures of my 2A.  There were lots of instructions for maintenance and installation of the machine in the BSP.  I plugged it in and everything seemed to work.  I did not try to test the recording or playback.  The lid on this one is fiberlass, as compared to the 1-BA which is metal.
Dave

wds

Pictures of my 1-BA.  I plugged the machine in and everything seemed to work.  The recorder ran through a cycle then stopped.  Nice and quiet.  The drum on the left is the outgoing message, the large drum on the right are the recorded messages.  You can adjust how many messages it will record.  41 lbs.
Dave