News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 925 Ashtray Phone With Unusual Spacer/Base

Started by magicbrain, September 29, 2018, 02:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

This Kellogg 925 came up on ebay & even though it had a small crack, the unusual spacer/base & otherwise good condition made me bid on it.
I ended up being the only bidder, getting it for $30.00 + shipping & it arrived with no further damage.
The spacer/base is a heavy zinc? casting with no markings on it. I looked through the various Kellogg catalogs showing this model, but not have found any reference to anything like this.
The unmarked ringer in it looks like the ones used in the redbar phones - it is a frequency type (base plate is stamped 925 HAX 1 indicating a 30hz ringer), 2 holes were drilled to mount it & the wires are not connected.

Bruce

Jim Stettler

There is still time to get it in as a find of the month.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

magicbrain

Quote from: Jim S. on September 29, 2018, 02:35:02 PM
There is still time to get it in as a find of the month.
Jim S.

I already have an entry for September ::)
Bruce

tubaman

That was a great buy at $30 - they are very hard to find completely undamaged as the Bakelite is very thin.
The spacer is most unusual but looks original. I think you've got something rather special there!
:)

Doug Rose

Really nice find. Could you post the auction link?.....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

So the spacer must be related to fitting a larger Ringer into this model I am assuming. I have never seen that spacer before either. Enter it in next months Find of the Month contest. Jim has put the topic up for October already.

Terry

magicbrain

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 30, 2018, 07:35:24 AM
Really nice find. Could you post the auction link?.....thanks....Doug

Auction link:
https://tinyurl.com/ych249jc

Having wanted one of these for awhile, but not at the prices they usually sell for, I am very pleased to get an unusual one at low price.

Bruce

Jim Stettler

Quote from: magicbrain on September 30, 2018, 11:55:25 AM
Auction link:
https://tinyurl.com/ych249jc

Having wanted one of these for awhile, but not at the prices they usually sell for, I am very pleased to get an unusual one at low price.

The hard part is getting one that isn't damaged. I wonder if the spacer helped protect the bottom edge of the housing.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.